M520 aquisition... Crazy??

RFR

I already have one, thinking seriously about picking up another. The new one is a working, in service board but does have a few faders and pots that need attention.

In actual use, I'm not sure what I'd need two for since I only have a 16 track, and one m520 is more than enough.

But the price is right and in the worse case I'd have a parts board.

Opinions?

I used to run two Tascam M312B boards cascaded together when I had my MS-16 deck. Basically set it up so that the first 16 channels were dedicated tape returns and the remaining 8 channels as dedicated input strips for tracking. That way, I could leave ideal settings alone and repeatable for guitars, vocals, keys and so on as well as have an assignable stereo return for my reverb unit.

Basically, a split console design.

If you have the room and budget, go for it! :)

Cheers! :)

Whoo Hoo! A response!!! Thanks. The sound of the crickets was starting to get deafening.:D

Got the room, got the coin. Pretty much too cheap to pass up.

How would you cascade them?? I guess I could figure it out once in hand, but curious how you did yours. With the m520 versatility it seems limitless in the options.

Just did a quick image search on the 312B, and lo and behold! yours is what comes up. Looks great! did you do real wood side panels??

VV4G7551small.jpg

Whoo Hoo! A response!!! Thanks. The sound of the crickets was starting to get deafening.:D

Got the room, got the coin. Pretty much too cheap to pass up.

How would you cascade them?? I guess I could figure it out once in hand, but curious how you did yours. With the m520 versatility it seems limitless in the options.
It connects together by taking the buss and aux/effect outs on the first board and plugging those into the cascade/SUB inputs on the second board. Once accomplished, it behaves as one giant board.

About the wood end caps, a member here on this forum made some up for his M312B and had some "B-stock" extras that he was kind enough to sell to me. I believe it was EVM-1024...memory's a bit foggy at the moment. And I made the top board myself.

Not knowing anything else but what you shared I would pass on a second M520. Nice board, but if you don't need the channels the way you record you could put that coin into something else you don't have.

I've go a perfect condition M320 and a couple submixers for when I need more portability. Ghost's two M312 boards together are awesome!

Hmmm, decisions, decisions.

I realize I don't need it But it might be pretty cool doing the cascading thing. On a more practical aspect there is another backup or parts desk.

Doing a similar set up that ghost did looks pretty enticing.;)

Last edited:
Well, the deal is sealed. I'm picking up the other desk. Call me nuts, but I'll be the proud owner of two M520s.

Keep ya posted.

ps. I blame sweetbeats.:D

Oh I will! This will be a 7 foot long beast. Kind of ironic having two considering this is a desk that so many people on places like gear slutz think to be shit.

I don't care! I have been a long time loyal Tascam consumer and have gotten good results with all I've owned.

I own 2 but neither are in my hands as of yet. One is at a friends in Az and one in LA. I'm in neither place.:D
Worst case I have a spare parts desk. But if I cascade, I'm sure I'll have tons of questions.

I'll most likely do a mahogany side panel and penthouse set up on it if I cascade.

:thumbs up:

I loved working with my Previous 520, but always wished I had more channels on mixdown.

With the 20 inputs, the 16track ate up most of the inputs, I only had 4 left for stereo effects.
With 2 that's 40 inputs!!! wow!

We shall see.;)

Maybe you'll end up doing a double 520 wallpaper??

Last edited:
With the previous setup how come you didn't use the tape returns and monitor via the monitor mixer during overdubs leaving all 20 channels open for inputs? That's the way it's designed...you can have the tape returns permanently connected ready to monitor at any time or with the flip of a switch pass through the channel strip (during mix down). The only reason to need more inputs is if you actually have more live sources you need to simultaneously mix, and if you actually need 16 mix busses. With the direct outs and 8 busses, 16 dedicated tape returns and flexible routing and monitoring for all I'm trying to grasp why you need more inputs? Not trying to be a wet blanket, just trying to understand?

Previously this is the way I had it set up.

For tracking:
All 16 tape outs to tape in on channels 1 through 16. I'd monitor on the monitor section and artists would have to live with the same monitor mix.
Inputs to the 16track would always be fed from the direct out of the channel. I rarely used the buss to send to tape in favor of the cleaner signal path.
All monitoring was done through the monitor mix section.

Mixdown:
channels 1 through 16 got flipped to tape and the mix was assigned to busses 5 and 6, and 7 and 8 feeding two mixdown machines. One was a cassette (for listening in the car) and one was a dat master.
So busses 6 through 8 became my "stereo buss"
At mixdown this left me with only 4 channels for effects and or sequenced keys.

Maybe I never tapped into the full potential of the desk, but when I first set it up and did all the wiring, that's how I set it up.
Watching your excellent videos on your board made me aware of there being much more potential for the board than I had previously envisioned.

What it all boils down to is this;

I'm getting the board for the price of gas to go to LA, which I have to go to anyway. There is no cash outlay for the desk. While I am down there I am picking up my old msr 16 from my former bandmate, again for no cash outlay. It needs a motor and I am not sure of the current condition of the heads. But hell, at worst, it's a parts deck for my current msr16.

Maybe I'll fix them all up and keep them, maybe fix them up and sell them, maybe use it all, Maybe part them out. Who knows. Too soon to tell. But how can I turn down free gear, that at bare minimum could be parts donors for the gear I have.

:thumbs up:

Last edited:
It's done. #2 is acquired. Real clean except for some scuffing on top of the meterbridge. And, yes, there is a power supply and cord along with 2 snakes.

Attachments

• IMG_1363.jpg
    IMG_1363.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_1367.jpg
    IMG_1367.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_1365.jpg
    IMG_1365.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_1366.jpg
    IMG_1366.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 78
The M-50 and M-512 are nearly identical. The only functional differences are on the jack panel. The M-50 has balanced outputs for one of the stereo busses, but no "BALANCE AMP" section (the 8-channel unbalanced to balanced converter section). I think that's it. There are some minor cosmetic differences as well.

The M-50 and M-512 are nearly identical. The only functional differences are on the jack panel. The M-50 has balanced outputs for one of the stereo busses, but no "BALANCE AMP" section (the 8-channel unbalanced to balanced converter section). I think that's it. There are some minor cosmetic differences as well.

60mm faders on the M-50 vs 100mm faders on the 500 series.

Maybe a couple less aux sends too.

Oh wow...totally never noticed the 60mm throw on the faders. Okay. So that's a difference.

And I'm correcting myself: the M-50 doesn't have a dedicate balanced output for one of the stereo busses, it has a 2-channel BALANCE AMP section just like the M-500 series, but only 2 channels whereas the M-500 series' BALANCE AMP section has 8-channels.

Regarding the AUX busses you're only partially right...yes there is only AUX A and AUX B on the M-50, but they are stereo, with a PAN knob, so they can function as 4 separate AUX busses. The only catch is that the AUX A and AUX B master controls are stereo ganged so you don't have independent master level control of each side of those two stereo busses.

Another feature I see of the M-50 that is different is switchable output level for the AUX busses A and B and subgroup outputs 1~4 and 5~8 (-10dBV or 0dBu), and BALANCE AMP (+4dBm or +8dBm).

1014tascam11.jpg

1014tascam3.jpg

1014tascam5.jpg

Back