Looking to upgrade from 488 MKII to reel...MSR-16, a big step up or no?

Seeker of Rock

The One and Only
Like my 488MKII and am love analog. Doing recording for myself only at home, and just got a green light to upgrade withing reason from my better half. If I bought an MSR-16, how big of a difference in sound quality and "thickness" might I expect between the two? Not going to be an upgrade in board immediately, would use the 488 and likely double tracks until I could afford a 16 channel board. I have decent outboard gear, Lexi LXP-15II, Pro VLA, Joe Meek pre, Midiverb IV, TASCAM CDRW-700. Never owned a reel unit, and am curious.

The MSR-16 is a great machine, but I wouldn't upgrade to it unless you got a board at the same time to test it out and fiddle around with. I used to have a 488 (not the MKII), and I know that machine as a board wouldn't have been suitable at all for being paired up with an MSR-16. There is quite a big difference in sound quality and "thickness" between the two machines, as the 488 is twice as narrow as even the MSR-16 and the MSR can run up to 15 ips. Just make sure you use the right tape for it, normal bias (like Quantegy 456, or Emtec 911 or 468, or maybe even LPR 35) and it'll sound great.

-MD

Seeker of Rock said:
Like my 488MKII and am love analog. Doing recording for myself only at home, and just got a green light to upgrade withing reason from my better half. If I bought an MSR-16, how big of a difference in sound quality and "thickness" might I expect between the two? Not going to be an upgrade in board immediately, would use the 488 and likely double tracks until I could afford a 16 channel board. I have decent outboard gear, Lexi LXP-15II, Pro VLA, Joe Meek pre, Midiverb IV, TASCAM CDRW-700. Never owned a reel unit, and am curious.

The MSR-16 is like “a whole nother country” compared to a cassette-based recorder. It’s not just like going from, say a Volkswagen to a Mercedes -- more like going from riding a bicycle to a Mercedes. But going from your garden-variety DAW to the 488 is like going from walking to riding a bicycle, to put it in perspective. (An MCI 2” being an F-16) ;)

I would get a board though. They aren’t that expensive used. Look for a Tascam M-224, or used Mackie of the same era with 16 channel or more w/16 tape ins. Unfortunately the M-216 only has 8 tape ins and 8 (4x2) buss outs, but still one of my favorites. In very good condition we’re talking around $300.00 or less for something that will get the job done.

By the way, you have a really nice arsenal there -- The Midiverb IV and the Lexicon LXP-15 II -- nice! Version 2.0 of the LXP-15 and even the original LXP-1 were so sweat Lexicon almost over did it by competing with their own higher cost pro stuff. The Reflex is decent too, but the newer MPX-100 and such don’t quite compare.

The Midiverb IV is in my studio and one of my all time Favorite Alesis products for more flamboyant and unusual effects.

You already have the ingredients for an excellent studio, as the 488 is no slouch in the right hands, but the MSR-16 will bump it up considerably.

Kudos to your better half for being cool, and best of luck in your quest. :)

-Tim

dude...
it might be too much for what you are trying to do. that thing is a serious beast. not trying to scare you. but you will have a serious studio after getting one of those things. Tims analogy was good.

the reason you need a board is because the MS-16 has 16 separate channel outputs. this means you need 16 inputs (and usually 16 faders) to run it. the machine also has 16 inputs, so you will either have to change mixer channels every time you do an overdub, or buy a patch bay, which means more cables. I got a patch bay and I've been very very happy since then. Also if it doesn't come with the manual be sure to order one from Tascam.

Back