Looking for a tascam msr24s power supply cable

Last edited:
I'd get that one.

And by sketchy wire are you talking about the little strands you can see where the cable enters the hood? That tells me it's a shielded cable with a braided shield and you're seeing the cut ends of the strands.

Braided shield = good

You may need to clean that up a little, and then of course connect the shield to pin 33 at the machine end of the cable, but that looks like a good quality assembly in terms of the parts and materials. Make sure the side-entry configuration of the cable into the hoods will physically work with your machine and power supply.

Just a thought, I had some cables made up many years ago when I was setting up some scsi gear, there was a cable making company near me that would get the plugs in and wire up the cable to suit, good as it was very fiddly soldering but also as cheap as me buying all the bits as they had good buying power. Do you have anyone like that where you are?

Alan.

so as my project procced (very slowly, with the intense university studies), i have got my DSUB cable, and im into cleaning the tape as it was lying in the previous owners half-open kitchen which was essentialy a big dust turbulence.

starting with the power supply, what didn't i find there? bugs, leaves, pine needles..i got must of the dust out and sprayed the boards with an appropriate solution. first dive into "electronics" for me really, combining with the audio electronics course at uni, it is quit a great adventure for me.

tho when i stared assembeling it back together i spotted a few wierd chuncks of white material on some capacitors and on one other place. photos: TASCAM MSR 24S POWER SUPPLY - Album on Imgur

just wanted to be sure it's not somthin' to worry about? i thought at first the it was a capacitor gone wrong, but seeing it on most of the big capcitors makes me think it might be just some kind of glue?

next will be the tape itself, hopefully will get it done soon :)

Yep.

Silicon RTV often used to adhere the caps to the board prior to soldering. Nothing to be concerned about.

good to know:cool:
done with the power supply, i assembled it back together and vuala it's powers up.

diving into the tape itself..photos attached.
the units inside are actually well isolated so it appears that most of the dirt got stuck in the upper side.

meanwhile, it's seems like a tough mission to put my hands on the manuals. i've contacted both Teac US and Teac UK and no response. i will try with the local tascam dealer next week..who knows he might have somthing for me.

trying to get to these notorious dolby cards. anyone can point me out the easiest way to get to it? and what shall i look for? just bad capacitors and leaks, or can be an "invisible failure"?

i'll keep update how it goes, for anyone that will come across this machine in the future :)

Attachments

• 20170317_145136.jpg
    20170317_145136.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 10
  • 20170317_145155.jpg
    20170317_145155.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 5
  • 20170317_150501.jpg
    20170317_150501.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 5
With the Dolby cards, I think it's usually the chip that goes - though I have heard stories of people replacing the surface-mount capacitors as well. That might have been on the Fostex G16S though...

EDIT: As for getting at them, I think you'll find they're accessible from the front really easily.
Either side of the meter block there is a handle. There are a couple of screws - removing these should cause the meter section to swing open, allowing access to the trimmers and I believe allowing you to pull the cards as well.

With the Dolby cards, I think it's usually the chip that goes - though I have heard stories of people replacing the surface-mount capacitors as well. That might have been on the Fostex G16S though...

EDIT: As for getting at them, I think you'll find they're accessible from the front really easily.
Either side of the meter block there is a handle. There are a couple of screws - removing these should cause the meter section to swing open, allowing access to the trimmers and I believe allowing you to pull the cards as well.

thanks jp!
if the chip goes wrong, is there any way to see it physically?
I would prefer to know that in advance, to avoid any domino effect damage by powering it up and test it.

The dolby cards are behind the RCA panel. You take the screws out of the metal plate angle that runs across the top of the cards. You then with all the cables disconnected pull the cards out of the back of the machine. Oh the DBX version cards come out the same way.

The problem with the dolby cards is the miniature surface mount caps on the actual dolby boards go out of spec. When this happens the affected channel distorts but only when the dolby is engaged. If this is not what is happening it's not the cards. Also there was a different version card with different caps that does not seem to have the same problems (earlier or later?) I found this type when I bought a spare parts machine.

I have attached photos of the work I did on my cards, you need someone with micro soldering skills to pull the cap change off.

Alan.

card 5.jpgcard 4.jpgcard 3.jpgcard 2..jpgcard 1.jpg

WOW that is some useful information ! thanks witzendoz.
so yes, Im gonna assemble it back after cleaning and give it a try. if i spot distortion when engaging dolby, its off to the tech then :rolleyes: i am miles away of being skilled enough to do this kind of work.

Back