Looking for Info on Tascam M-16 Mixer

sweetbeats

Reel deep thoughts...
I'd REALLY like to know more about the M-16 mixers...pictures, specs, anything.

I know they are an evolution of the Teac Model 15...

well i had nothing to do so i decided to see what i could find out for you through the internet (not having any experience for myself) and information is not surprisingly, scarce:

you tube video of a restored m-16 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k62DYXqneJg

theres a bunch of tascam haters talking trash on recording.org of course but found this snippet from the tascam history site in their thread

"The TASCAM M-16 was a mixer with 16 inputs, 8 outputs, and a 16-channel monitor section. This board was made in either a 16 input or 24 input configuration, a real flexible mixer that you could buy it with 16 inputs and then add modules later to increase the inputs to 24."

apparently both the 16 input and 24 input models were both called M-16, as it was a modular board and even if you bought the 16 input version from the factory you could purchase another 8 channel module to upgrade it to the 24.

theres an enlargable but non downloadable pic here
https://en.audiofanzine.com/analog-mixer/tascam/M-16/#

theres a few other pics i found attached... im sure you allready had found most of this but just in case you missed any of it i went ahead and put it up.
good luck in hunting down some better info!

Attachments

• elmazad_4513_scan0001.jpg
    elmazad_4513_scan0001.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 246
  • 1257660.jpg
    1257660.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 323
Hey Thanks!

Actually hadn't seen the scan of the manual cover or the other pic you attached.

I'm just curious about it because of all the similarities I've found between my prototype Tascam mixer and the Model 15...I thought there might be some more clues to dating the M-__ mixer and maybe understanding some of logic behind the features on it based on what else had gone to market...

The Model 16 was the last fully modular -10 console that Tascam made. It was the successor to the Model 15B. As I recall, it had sweep eq, solo in place, much better input transformers, and used considerably faster IC's (Signetics 5530's?) than it's predecessors.

Wow, that thing is a beast. Thanks for the photos.

Edit: I just noticed in the photos that the mixer is sitting on an IKEA "Gallant" desk. Notice that there's a space on the right side of the table... a perfect spot for a laptop and a AD interface. I've been looking for a good table to put my M-520 on, and I think that could be it.

Hey, everybody...a sincere thanks for the info. All very interesting and helpful, especially the link to the pics, Tom. Thanks!

Jeff, we have a bunch of IKEA stuff in our house...relatively affordable and for the most part well made and durable. We have a butcher-block solid wood dual drop-leaf table with skinny deep drawers in the middle on both sides. Folds up really compact, weighs a ton and is super sturdy. Great for crafts or as a high-dive platform for the kids. :D

Yes, as with the Model 15, this is all VERY interesting to compare to the M-__...The M-__ is clearly a hybrid...maybe truly the last all-modular mixer made by Teac, though not produced. I suspect the motherboard in the M-16 is the same type/design as the Model 15 which is the same as in the M-__...and the channel strips lock in the same way and the jack plates are the same design as the Model 15 and M-16, but the lineage of the M-16 died with the M-16. Looks like the M-__ was a hybrid (modular plug-in modules) but with the next generation of graphics and color schemes, and yet totally inline with the stacked meters on the bridge sort of like an MCI console.

So what Teac/Tascam mixers were modular? These are the ones I know of:

• The original Model 10
  • Model 5?
  • Model 15
  • M-30?
  • M-35?
  • M-16

Hey, everybody...a sincere thanks for the info. All very interesting and helpful, especially the link to the pics, Tom. Thanks!

Jeff, we have a bunch of IKEA stuff in our house...relatively affordable and for the most part well made and durable. We have a butcher-block solid wood dual drop-leaf table with skinny deep drawers in the middle on both sides. Folds up really compact, weighs a ton and is super sturdy. Great for crafts or as a high-dive platform for the kids. :D

Yes, as with the Model 15, this is all VERY interesting to compare to the M-__...The M-__ is clearly a hybrid...maybe truly the last all-modular mixer made by Teac, though not produced. I suspect the motherboard in the M-16 is the same type/design as the Model 15 which is the same as in the M-__...and the channel strips lock in the same way and the jack plates are the same design as the Model 15 and M-16, but the lineage of the M-16 died with the M-16. Looks like the M-__ was a hybrid (modular plug-in modules) but with the next generation of graphics and color schemes, and yet totally inline with the stacked meters on the bridge sort of like an MCI console.

• The original Model 10
  • Model 5?
  • Model 15
  • M-30?
  • M-35?
  • M-16

If by "modular" you mean it's all removable channel strips, yes, the M35 is a "modular". Is that what it means? :confused:

Yeah...I think I'm using that word right...I mean plug-in modules for the channels, groups, masters, etc.

I am a pseudo-poser anyway...all kinds of stuff I think I know am pretty sure of, but I hope I never start thinking I know more than I do, or stop questioning what I know...maybe its already too late...but that's why I responded that way...might miss the opportunity to learn something y'know? ;)

• The original Model 10
  • Model 5?
  • Model 15
  • M-30?
  • M-35?
  • M-16

I don't believe that the Model 30 was modular. If my brain is working correctly, I believe it was the replacement for the Model 3, which also was not modular. Both, the Model 3 and Model 30 were modular once you removed ALL the knobs and the top cover, but I don't consider that to be at all modular (too much work). ;)

Back