Looking for empty 1/2" reels and boxes

lo.fi.love

Functionally obsessed.
Hey folks,

I'm archiving a bunch of multitrack masters and I need a few extra empty 1/2" reels with boxes. Anybody have some they want to sell?

I'm keeping an eye on eBay but I thought I'd try my luck here. Thanks!!

Jeff

eBay is your best place.

I needed a bunch of 1/4" empty reels...found a guy who was selling his entire tape sound FX library (birds chirping, cars honking....that kind of stuff). He had a few dozen. I told him I didn't want the tape, he insisted, and gave me a better price so as not to have to remove the tape himself.
I think I got them for like a $5-$6 per reel.
The tape was shit...sticky, sticky, sticky. I tried one reel for about 15 seconds...and then proceeded to just unscrew the reels apart...dump the entire pancake into a trash bag, and put the flanges back together.

Anyway....don't ignore the guys selling reels WITH tape...especially old crap, as it's worthless to them anyway and they just want to unload it. It's like they never consider removing the garbage tape and selling just the empty reels! :D
Seems like the minute someone puts up empty reels these days...the price goes up 'cuz they have a specific market for them.

I don't know about $20 per 1/2" reel… :(

if you cant find any after all the posts above, let me know.
I probably have some around here.
I'm in the bay area also.

Oh, totally. I recently bought nine 1/4" reels with boxes on eBay. All of the tape was brittle or sticky, but that didn't matter: I just needed empty reels for my personal archive, and I chucked the tape into the trash.

I'm going to PM people in the order they responded to this thread. If Zorf has some, then I'll go with him first, since he's probably just a short train ride away.

Thanks folks!!

Back