Listening Test - 2 consoles

man-bot

Hi There,

In a fit of GAS I ended up purchasing a new console which had more routing than my vintage one... I wasn't sure how it was going to stack up against each other.

Wanted to see if any of you here wouldn't mind listening and letting me know your thoughts? I have tried to level match as close as possible. Consoles were set up at unity on the master and channel faders, channel gain adjusted to level match - no eq or panning. Both mixes pushed the red on the master - similar range.

The song is a live track from my birthday a few years back - mix and playing could be better so don't judge me there :).

Want to see what you find as a straight comparison of sound through 2 different consoles - and which you like better.

Thanks!

Mike
View attachment Wildest test - 2.mp3
View attachment Wildest test - 3.mp3

TBH...not sure exactly what's being compared here...just signal passing through the a couple of channels, everything at unity and flat....?

I think #3 has more fuller, more solid sound...but I'm not sure this is the best way to judge a console.

What consoles are we comparing..??? :D

I'm just trying to determine what sound the console imparts on tracks passed through it. Typically I find any "sound" imparted comes when there are a number of tracks passed through it and it is the compounding of those tracks give an overall sound imprint. In this case 6 separate tracks were passed and summed to a stereo mix.

So for the purpose of this test - yes all tracks are are unity and everything is flat as I want to hear the sound of the console without imparting any other variables.

I came to the same conclusion as you - I just didn't know if I was making it up in my head. Ultimately - its not a huge difference by any means.

Track 2 is a Toft ATB24, track 3 is a Soundcraft Series Two (1976). The toft is going up for sale after this - don't need both...

Back