Listening to recorded playback problem

thethirdman111

hi

I currently run a recently purchased fostex m80 through a mackie 1604 vlz mixer. A the last owners tape was included and is still on the machine and the playback is very good. However, after recording on the first track and listening to the playback the signal is very quiet. If i turn the trim up,which i dont think your supposed to do on a playback channel, it distorts the sound.

Any ideas what the problem could be. Im sure its simple.

thethirdman111

Assuming you've set proper levels to record onto the deck, it only leaves a few possibilities.

1 - The tape your recording on is not the correct formulation for the deck. Try a different roll of tape, hopefully some Quantegy 407 or 457.

2 - The internal calibration adjustments may be out of adjustment from a previous owners attempt to monkey with it. Follow the calibration procedure in the manual or get it done by a qualified service center.

3 - As A Reel Person stated, the heads might just be dirty and/or making poor contact with the tape due to back tension misalignment on the supply reel.

4 - You're recording French Mimes! :eek: :D

Cheers! :)

I'll take #4!

You have to make sure the tape is threaded properly, and is presenting the oxide side of the tape to the heads. It would probably surprise you how many people may thread the tape wrong. :eek: ;)

A Reel Person said:
You have to make sure the tape is threaded properly, and is presenting the oxide side of the tape to the heads. It would probably surprise you how many people may thread the tape wrong. :eek: ;)
And, just to amplify that, on Ampex/Quantegy tape, it is the brown side that goes against the heads, not the black side :)

hi

The last owner's recorded material play but perfect on the tape. So that proves the play head fine. But when comes to recording when send a signal from the mixer, no led lights up on the fostex m80 recorder. So the record head needs cleaning?

Help

thethirdman111 said:
no. no level to be seen.

You're not even getting signal into the deck. Double check everything before the machine, and also make sure you've got the right input selected. I don't know that particular machine, but if you have a selection between mic/line inputs, make sure that's set properly. If for instance you're putting a mic into a line input, you'll get nothing.

Hi

The case has been solved! I had my 8 inputs going into line inputs instead of going into the 8 direct out inputs. However i did have the 8 playback inputs going to the correct next 8 line inputs. That was why the playback was good.

At last i can start making recordings!

Thanks for the help

Back