Keep tape theaded, or rewind? Protect heads/tape

nettech

Hey everybody,

Here's a question that I've had since my earlier years.

In order to protect the tape heads from being damaged by magnietism and also to relieve the tension of the tape wrapping around all those rollers, I normally assume that I must rewind and remove the tape at the end of every session.

Now I've been told that it really doesn't matter if I keep the tape theaded because supposedly tape heads are magnetized only during actual tape movement, and most tape formulations are resilient to long-term sharp bends at high tension.

I've split the difference right now by leaving the tape threaded and rolling the supply reel backwards a half-turn to relieve some of the tension on the tape, but the tape is still in contact with the heads.

Any thoughts on what is the proper way to deal with this?

Thanks all! :)

Chris (Nettech)

All I can say is I do the same thing. If I'm working on something I leave the tape on there and loosen the tension. :)

Hello,...

You didn't mention which R/R tape drive you're using, but in general, when the machine is in Stop mode, the tape is lifted away from the heads by the tape-lifters. So, I think it's a non-issue.

;)

Fostex Model 80's, lifter only in rew/ff mode

Using two Fostex model 80's. There is a single tape lifter piece that seems to spring into action only when in Rewind/FastForward (and it does very poor job of it when it actually does, I can still hear tape screech sound in these modes).

Back