JVC QL-A2 Turntable Score

Yes! I think I might actually up the pressure on mine by half a gram. I have an old Dual 1019 which is actually a real nice old turntable. One of duals finest IMO. It's built like a tank and has a 7.5 lb platter!!!
Cory, also check the condition of the rca cables. If they look ragged or even cheap, it's easy to replace them with higher quality ones.

j.harv, yes the RCA cables are standard-grade. I have lots of high-quality shielded cable and still have some great Rean cable-mount RCA connectors, gold-plated with collet-type strain relief.

One thing I noticed on the cabling of the QL-A2 is there is no ground cable...I always remember there being the R and L audio cables, of course the power cable, but also a ground lead...I grew up near TV transmission towers...maybe that explains a few things...BUT, there was always ALL SORTS of terrible RF interference unless the ground lead from the turntable was connected to the preamp/receiver I used to have. I always thought it was normal for there to be an audio ground interconnect from the turntable to the preamp/receiver. Is that not the case?

The same era JVC table that I once owned also did not come with a traditional ground terminal and never suffered any hum issues with a number of different cartridges I had on it. They came up with an internal grounding system which made use of the shield on the left/right cables to address that issue. As well, Sweetbeat's model uses a DC motor with direct drive and is likely mounted on a plastic chassis frame. So that as well reduces the odds against more traditional AC motors mounted on stamped metal chassis's. I think pretty much any modern solid state amp or receiver should work without issue re hum.

Cheers! :)

Well this sucks...I finally get around to mounting a new cartridge and the mounting screws from the old cartridge are too short for the new cartridge. :cursing:

Can anybody help me figure out what screws I need and where to get them? I'm so not a turntable guy...

The cartridge I bought is a Shure V15 Type II.

You'll need non magnetic ones. Im sure you could use ones that aren't, but non magnetic, aluminum, are usually used as they are close to the cartridge. I have a shure V15 type III which is pretty much the same as yours in appearance. I measured the length of the screw and I'm getting 19.70mm on my cheap digital verniers.
If you have any audio shops in your area that sell turntables, then they should have accessories like the screws and wires etc. Or you could source them online. Now mind you, the length of screws I have, work for my shure paired up with my headshell. It could be slightly different with yours. But Im pretty sure that length will work.

IMG_20160709_094719.jpg

Got the screws, got everything setup...listening to a RECORD for the first time in about 25 years...

Sounds pretty good but I have to have the receiver cranked to get a decent level. Something doesn't seem right. Any suggestions? Set the downforce to 1g.

Not real familiar with that one, but any of the 9 series is pretty good. I would imagine it has good phono preamps.

Any chance it's hooked up wrong?

Well the 4 wires from the cartridge are all color coded same as the headshell...and past that it's just the two RCA cables...and it's not like one side is out...in getting stereo audio...it's just low level. I'll just look in the manuals for both the receiver and the turntable and see if a solution arises.

My short list of records to spin after all these years... :D

image.jpeg

Assuming that it is plugged into the phono input, my turntable does not have the volume of the CD player, but that could be due to the CD's being mastered to destruction where the vinyl is able to breath.

The pics of the amp you are using shows a phono level control on the back?

Cheers
Alan.

Well, this is great. I missed vinyl. We got this turntable almost 10 months ago I think...life is so busy. Too much. And I got the Shure cartridge and stylus many many months ago. It's finally together...another relic saved and a practical one at that. So many records I forgot about. Good stuff. Thanks everybody!

Last edited:
Good to hear! Now hit up some antique/flea markets. Always some cool finds.
Just picked these up the other day

IMG_20160715_180405.jpg

My parents had Revolver when I was growing up...a unique inclusion amidst a sea of classical music....fond memories.

Back