JVC KD-15 keeps auto stopping randomly

gabetallard

I recently bought a JVC KD-15 tape deck and it was working but it now keeps auto stopping for no apparent reason. anybody have any ideas as to why? thanks!

I recently bought a JVC KD-15 tape deck and it was working but it now keeps auto stopping for no apparent reason. anybody have any ideas as to why? thanks!

The auto stop function could be mechanical, electrical (excess motor current detect) or optical. If the latter, pin holes in the tape* would do it but it would always stop in the same place. If either of the other systems are faulty, find a good tech but that could be VERY difficult!

*Do old cassettes 'shed'?

Dave.

If I remember, the auto stops would stop if the cassette had too much resistance. Make sure it the cassette is not the issue.

If I remember, the auto stops would stop if the cassette had too much resistance. Make sure it the cassette is not the issue.

Good call!^ Two things to try. Slap the case 'fairly' hard on a flat surface both sides and check if it gets looser. Can be static, block one spool hole and blow into the other.

Dave.

The auto stop function could be mechanical, electrical (excess motor current detect) or optical. If the latter, pin holes in the tape* would do it but it would always stop in the same place. If either of the other systems are faulty, find a good tech but that could be VERY difficult!

*Do old cassettes 'shed'?

Dave.

it appears that it’s a mechanical fault. when i press and hold play it tries to auto stop after a few seconds and then the auto stop clicks until i stop holding the button

it appears that it’s a mechanical fault. when i press and hold play it tries to auto stop after a few seconds and then the auto stop clicks until i stop holding the button

Yes, it would do and it is probably a mechanical fault. The LH feed spool is not driven and many AS mechs detect that it has stopped. " Back in the Day" we would just order up a new cassette mech.

Dave.

Back