Just curious as to why still analog??

Tim Walker

Is it a price issue, or nostalgia, or just because you have been recording and mixing that way for ever and reluctant to change?

Do you see yourself going all digital in the future?

I'm just curious at to the mindset of an analog fan.

thanks

tim

Tim Walker said:
Is it a price issue, or nostalgia, or just because you have been recording and mixing that way for ever and reluctant to change?

thanks

tim
Because hiss, wow, flutter, limited dynamic range, and the soft compression and resulting distortion of saturation add a lot of character to recorded sounds that is aurally pleasant.

These are my answers. I'm doing this as a hobby, so I have more leeway than someone who runs a professional studio.

* No DRM
* Most of my favourite albums were recorded this way
* Good media longevity, simpler technology (DBX notwithstanding)
* AFAICS There doesn't seem to be a proper successor to 1/4" 2T mixdown/mastering format. DAT is only 16/48, nothing else is standardised
* I think it's more fun
* When I was equipping the studio, the analogue and digital 8-tracks were the same price ;-)
* More leeway than digital (for redlining etc)
* Why bother trying to simulate tape hiss when you can have the real thing?
* I have a soft spot for 'trailing-edge' technologies
* I wanted to learn the Old Ways while I still can

If I get pushed into digital, I'll probably build a Linux-based recording system to act as a drop-in replacement for the multitrack. Not sure how to deal with the mixdown though.

I have both. Analog..2,4,8,16,and 24 track. I also extensively use Nuendo, loops, vsti's.

On some types of music, I don't notice a (preferable) "sound" difference after a quick test record to analog and digital...so I track to Nuendo which is way faster in terms of creativity ...not having to wait for rewind is one of the best inventions since console automation.

In other situations, especially where I'm driving a hot signal, I track to tape to get the compression that I can't get from digital effects. But then I dump that analog signal to Nuendo for editing. Or if I have someone in here who prefers tape..it's here.

Sometimes for remote work, I'll take the Msr 24 track. But other times I'll take a bunch of digital D-90's. The prime decision there being total record time (In a live situation, I can switch a one inch reel of tape faster than I can swap out four hard drives).

I've already decided I'll always keep my analog machines cuz that's the era I grew up in and learned in. Plus I bought all my machines new so I know where they've been!

But digital is just the most fantastic invention that's ever hit the audio production world...for me at least. After three+ decades recording to tape, for me, Daws are incredible. In the past few years, I've also gradually moved into some video production and the tools there are just as exciting.

The only thing I don't like much is mixing in the pcs. It's more gratifying to mix on the real, automated consoles.

having primarily been a tape machine user for the last 5 years i do have to say the the tones coming back from the pcs are starting to get better and better. id say that if i had to do some techno or hip hop i wouldnt hesitate from going pc but on the other hand if im doin a rock band i think id stick with the tape. the hiss and color the tape impart really breathe life into a recording for me. i think the debate of tape vs digital is pretty much over, i think the discussion should now be how can we best integrate the 2 mediums to get the best sound of both worlds.

Tim Walker said:
Sort of like a reverb unit to simulate a large hall?

Editing - for one reason.

tim

the sad part is that editing is achilles heal of the digital medium. the less you do to it the better it sounds.

i'll give a reason why digital is better. ever accidently record over a good take? there ain't no undo in the analog world. why analog? because it sounds "bigger". and because music is analog. its all about "fat" vs "thin" or "dark" vs "bright" and all of these shades of grey we use to describe music. when all of those colors are put down into numeric form, there becomes a finite pallette. there are only so many shades of grey. with analog, there really is every color under the sun. is this making any sense??

You know what drives me absoluetly bonkers about all of it???

Tape is really "warm" right? so for decades there is all of this gear being made that accentuates the high end and make everything sound extremely clear. Then they invent digital recording and the combination of that with all of the gear that has been developed over the years sounds really harsh and annoying. So; now they are creating dirty sounding gear to go with the clean medium. And yes, they are starting to get it right.

In the end, whatever brings the best representation of that particular sound...like all things recording.

editing can be your downfall. less really is more.

FALKEN said:
the sad part is that editing is achilles heal of the digital medium. the less you do to it the better it sounds.

In the end, whatever brings the best representation of that particular sound...like all things recording.

editing can be your downfall. less really is more.

I agree with what you are saying. Ultimately, the song and how it's played are the most important elements in music.

I've recorded in studios on 2" tape, and adats, and to hard disk, they all have their advantages. Our 2" record sounds pretty harsh to the ears, but we didn't know much when we mixed it. Our Adat record sounds much better, but we were more experienced and had a different engineer.

tim

Tim Walker said:
Well, up until recently, DAW software was a pain in the ass to use. Still aint as easy as tape.

Because I discovered the limitations with the digital workstation I was recording on for 4 years. I knew if I just went back to analog I wouldn't have to worry about all the other crap. Now I can keep what I have and know that I can make decent recordings without having to worry about anything except executing the song.

Last edited:
Tim Walker said:

thanks

tim

Hi Tim,

I'm 32 years old, started late in the game (around '99) and initially wasn't too aware of the Analog scene. All I saw was digital this, digital that adverts and talk all over the place. Digital was everywhere and who was I to ask questions .... If people were using Digital then it HAD to be good and the place to be, right ? :rolleyes: For about a year I tried all sorts of digital boxes, from $200 units to expensive $1000 ++ all in one digital 24 bit multitrackers. I went forward with digital despite being totally uncomfortable with the whole concept. I found the sound very "accurate" but almost "clinical like", with no character whatsoever but still I delved on ..... What really made me frustrated was the lack of "interactivity" with the box, stupid menu systems and the mere thought that this, in my eyes, wasn't a musical tool at all. I also tried computers with CoolEdit PRO with a even greater dislike. Digital to me represented more of a compromise and convenience than anything else. I certainly didn't see it as "real" in any shape or form. I was very sick of recording that way. There was no joy nor excitement working with the medium. In my mind, it was a totally wrong concept. The more I learned, the more I strayed from the norm and the more I searched for an alternative.

Again, those are just MY OWN experiences and thoughts on the subject which should not bear any significant weight. ;)

Interestingly, I have no problems with outboard digital effects boxes such as my Lexicon Lxp1 or mixing down to computer and then CD and then mp3 etc .... Go figure. :confused:

~Daniel ;)

Last edited:
I have been down the digital black hole more than once and have come home to analog just for the sound. Besides that it,s cool ;)

The difference between analog and digital is like the difference between film and video. I would rather watch a movie made on film any day.

Huh... this would be a good way to put it...sort of :D
Agent Smith: Why, Mr. Anderson? Why do you do it? Why get up? Why keep fighting? Do you believe you're fighting for something? For more that your survival? Can you tell me what it is? Do you even know? Is it freedom? Or truth? Perhaps peace? Yes? No? Could it be for love? Illusions, Mr. Anderson. Vagaries of perception. The temporary constructs of a feeble human intellect trying desperately to justify an existence that is without meaning or purpose. And all of them as artificial as the Matrix itself, although only a human mind could invent something as insipid as love. You must be able to see it, Mr. Anderson. You must know it by now. You can't win. It's pointless to keep fighting. Why, Mr. Anderson? Why? Why do you persist?
Neo: Because I choose to.
:p :p :p

Me, personally .... I simply get better result , when recording instruments like guitars, bass and drums on analog tape. I did and can (and still do and going to continue to do for specific situations and tasks) get somewhat pretty good result by recording on akai(s) HD recorders, and somewhat less, but still ok with my digidesign and m-audio cards with Sonar on PC.... but it sucks compare to what I get on tape.
Sure I use digital effect processors (trying to use them as less as possible thou), I have bunch of digital midi synthesizers, digital sampler etc.... cd production final touch and arrangement ..... usual path and situation.
But , again, when it comes to recording performance, mic(ed) recording - I simply gave up on digital .... it's ok, but not good enough to my 'demands' and working style (if you wish ;) ) ...
And yes, it IS much more fun. I love REAL BIG buttons, sliders, knobs - ... I hate working with data-diling clicky pimps ... lol, :D

/respects

I think this sums it up pretty nicely, don't you think ? :D ;)

Attachments

• 45_lg.jpg
    45_lg.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 504
Tim Walker said:

None of the above. There are people at all skill levels and incomes that have chosen Analog as their primary recording format simply because it sounds better to them. You will find that people in the analog camp are generally more informed and aware of the strengths and weaknesses of both formats. Ours is a truly informed choice based on experience – mostly bad experience with digital.

Rather than blindly go with the marketing flow, those who have chosen analog, for the most part, are those who have made a real choice.

There is nothing inexpensive or convenient about analog, and certainly nothing so nostalgic about it that I wouldn’t switch to digital if it did the job. Some of us are older and have been recording for a long time. That just gives us the advantage of knowing both formats well.

Surprisingly to some the question may be “Why still digital?” (or why still tubes?) ;) A few years ago digital was more prevalent than it is today in professional circles. Today there aren’t many major studios that haven’t brought tape back in at some level. A quick google will show that many have a 2” 24-track of some sort and /or a half-track mastering machine at the very least. Yes, and most also have Pro Tools.

Today most professionals use a combination of both formats. If you only talk to music store salesmen and frequent manufacturer web sites, the return of analog may be the best-kept secret in the field. The perception that digital has displaced analog is… well, soooo 90’s. :D

-Tim

Last edited:
Back