Interface Cable ID

ron-e-g

I need some help identifying some cables that came with my Tascam MS-16. I suspect some are for synchronizers but what ones? One appears, to even have a Fostex type connector! A couple others are probably for remotely locating the DBX units? See... Picture #7.

#1SANY0203.JPG
#2SANY0204.JPG
#3SANY0205.JPG
#4SANY0206.JPG
#5SANY0207.JPG
#6SANY0208.JPG
#7SANY0210.JPG
#8SANY0212.JPG
#9SANY0214.JPG

Last edited:
A lot of those are standard computer interface ports.
I see 25 pin parallel port connectors, 15pin gameport connectors, and various scsi connectors.
The black connector in the top pic appears to be pata/ide hard drive type.

I've no idea if that's useful to you.

those look like the ones that connect to the Tascam MTS-1000
Those ones? fgonza2 could you reference the picture number? Thanks. I do suspect the MTS-1000 or the ATS 500 on some as I also had some Tascam PW 88AC2 cables. But why they were with the MS16 is beyond me as those units don't work with that recorder ( I thought) because the transport could not be vari. speed controlled.

that will be picture #1 but you also need the Tascam IF-1000 for that, and it will work, and yes the MS16 you can control capstan speed through a pin on that connector for a synchronizer

That's good to know fgonza2..you would know!:thumbs up: I was hoping to ID some of the others. I would like to sell them. :rolleyes:

Thanks

Can't you deduce what they are for by looking at the back of the deck...?
I mean....of each cable that you have, one end should/would connect to the deck at some point. Based on where/what that is....it should give you an idea what it's for and what would go on the other end.

That top #1 pic....that black connector is what goes to a Timeline Microlynx synchronizer.
The others are all some sort of transport/synchronizer cables, and it might be that they are not all needed or all for the MS-16. When I got my Otari MX-80, the guy gave me a box full of cables....most had nothing to do with the MX-80....it was just accumulated stuff over the years.
So you might have the same situation, as that's an awful lot of cables for one deck...even when you consider adding a remote, autolocator and synchronizer.

Can't you deduce what they are for by looking at the back of the deck...?
I mean....of each cable that you have, one end should/would connect to the deck at some point. Based on where/what that is....it should give you an idea what it's for and what would go on the other end.

That top #1 pic....that black connector is what goes to a Timeline Microlynx synchronizer.

Yea miroslav. I know the ones and recognize them as belonging to the MS-16. Its the other ends I'm hoping people who actually have the receiving (or sending whatever the case may be) units might enlighten me to.
So by you telling me that the connector in Pic. one is a Timeline Microlynx Sync. Type...that's perfect! Thanks.
I'll probably end up listing them in a inter- connect cable category, and list the lengths so the viewer can decide for themselves.

that will be picture #1 but you also need the Tascam IF-1000 for that, and it will work, and yes the MS16 you can control capstan speed through a pin on that connector for a synchronizer

i was wrong here, i was referring to the tascam ES-50 instead of IF-1000

Found this in a MTS 1000 Manual PDF you posted awhile back fgonza2. A lot of these connectors look to fill the doubt.

Tascam MTS 1000.PNG

yes so the MTS-1000 connects to the ES-50 which connects to the MS-16 or ATR-60. THe MTS-1000 uses the accessory 2 which is serial (for machines like TSR8, MSR16, MSR24, 688, 238, etc), the MS-16 has a parallel interface (the 38 pin connector or any other machine with Accessory 1 port) so the ES-50 is the interface for those. Those are very hard to find. Do you plan to sync your MS16 or ATR 60 with something ?

I need some help identifying some cables that came with my Tascam MS-16. I suspect some are for synchronizers but what ones? One appears, to even have a Fostex type connector! A couple others are probably for remotely locating the DBX units? See... Picture #7.

#1View attachment 84977

The blue connector on the left is male EDAC connector for use in old multitrack mixers and recorders. I have no idea what the one on the right is but Miroslav may be right in that it's a synchro cable. It looks like an old IDE connector from the PC world.

#2View attachment 84978

The connector on the right is a DB37 connector from the PC world which is typically used for remote control functions in the audio world. I don't know what the other one is but it looks borrowed from the PC world as well.

#4View attachment 84980

Once again, an EDAC connector with that funny PC connector.

#5View attachment 84981

The top connector is a DB25, usually used to transport 8 channels of balanced audio. If the other end of the cable is the other connector, I am stumped.

#6View attachment 84982

This is a serial port cable used for joysticks in PCs but can also be used to send MIDI commands.

#7View attachment 84983

Pics 7 and 8 are Tuchel connectors used to break out of analogue consoles such as the Trident 70 and 80 series. They are used to send and receive audio to and from tape machines and other I/O.

That's all I got. Hope that helps.

Cheers :)

My 2p:

#1: betcha that is to interface the MS-16 with a Timeline MicroLynx synchronizer

#2 and #3: dunno for sure but the 50 pin cinch matches the ES-50...the 37 pin dsub could go to a number of parallel sync devices

#4: betcha that interfaces the MS-16 with an ES-50...open the hood of the ELCO and see if there are any diodes or resistors in there.

#5: same as #2 and #3 but with a 25-pin dsub.

#6: ???

#7: extension cable to fly the meters?

#8: ???

#9: ???

Those are my votes.

Sold the ATR..it was a total PITA. Keeping the MS for now. But I'm just selling off some un-used things that I've collected.

...for money to buy other stuff I probably won't use!:spank::eek:

Thanks Mo Facta, but at this point.. bet I know more about them than you! Just kidden Ya! Thanks man for the info.

Cool sweetbeats, your the Man! But I'm still goin with the DBX, and or amp remote location, on #7 Seems like the meters have a single connector.. And I have two of these. I'll have to check that. I know Tascam had a CS-62 Overbridge Mount. I think I have most of that. Along with the T-0865 Panel and Cable Kit.

Hum..maybe just answered my own question. Maybe each one of those cables is for each of the optional Kits!

Sorry fgonza2. It didn't occur to me You, or anyone else on the forum might be interested. It went for $1100 to a guy who lives just around the corner:eek: I don't think that was a good idea on my part!:D I may sell the M600 and the MS-16 in the near future. If you, or anyone else is interested.

Back