input levels

i skimmed through the threads and couldn't find much about this. I know that inputs are either RCA (-10) or XLR (+4), but what are the pros and cons of each and what is the easiest way to convert from XLR to RCA (i'm buying a tape machine with RCA ins).

If you are using a mixdown/mastering deck the easiest way is to take a regular RCA cable, cut off the end, and attach an XLR connector.

If you are using a multitrack deck, you can purchase pre-made snakes that can do the job, or make your own.

You need to give us a little more info on what your mixer is. Also xlr can mean +4 but doesnt always. Xlr is mainly for balanced outputs.

i'm just getting into recording to analog tape. so i'm starting out with a tascam 32-2. i'm still tracking digitally with a presonus firepod but i want to be able to mixdown to a 2-track tape rather than bouncing down in Logic.

so, should i just turn down the master output volume on my firepod to make sure my VUs on the 32-2 stay below zero?

mishagolin said:
i'm just getting into recording to analog tape. so i'm starting out with a tascam 32-2. i'm still tracking digitally with a presonus firepod but i want to be able to mixdown to a 2-track tape rather than bouncing down in Logic. so, should i just turn down the master output volume on my firepod to make sure my VUs on the 32-2 stay below zero?
You should have no problems just running XLR - RCA with this setup. Your 32 has an input level control before the first op-amp, so you're not going to overload anything by starting with the level control at zero in 'input' mode and then slowly bringing up the level until things look good.

Attachments

• 32-input.gif
    32-input.gif
    20.4 KB · Views: 17
Back