Inexpensive VU Meter Lamps, Bulbs

I have a Tascam 44OB. The VU meters work but I need VU meter lamps. The original lamps are of a type that "snap" into place within metal contacts, much like a fuse, and have a frosted coating. Some Teac info I found on-line describes them as a socket mount VU meter lamp P/N 53100052-00 8V (55ma?). However, it appears that style lamp is no longer available. From this thread I found 'fuse lamps' at parts-express (search text = "fuse lamp") but one of the posts suggests they do not fit, i.e. the metal end cap is too large. Wondering if anyone can point me to some replacement lamps? Thanks in advance...Dave

Resurrecting this old thread because I need to change a burnt bulb in my 246 and I've never done it before. I clicked on the link to the site but it brings me to the homepage, so I'm thinking that they no longer stock that particular bulb?

Anyways, I looked online to see if I could find some info on what I need and I think I have an idea of what it is but was wondering if anyone here could give me some info on either the exact bulb I need and where to order, or some tips on getting the job done. Like I said, I've never done it before but I do have experience changing the light bulbs in countless lamps in living rooms and bathrooms all over the Northeast.

@ GCalo Sent you a PM.

@ Sweetbeats I assume you have some experience on putting these in. Wanna throw some knowledge my way? I read they need to be soldered in and I have a solder kit and some experience with it. Is it pretty self explanatory or what?

@ Sweetbeats I assume you have some experience on putting these in. Wanna throw some knowledge my way? I read they need to be soldered in and I have a solder kit and some experience with it. Is it pretty self explanatory or what?

I don't know for certain the 246 meters are identical to the similar appearing meters on the models 234, 388, 48 and 58 meters I've worked on, but I'd say they are more than likely the same.

Depending on the machine it can be more or less a pain in the a$$ to get to the meters. Sometimes you have to actually desolder and remove the meter from the meter amp board to be able to remove the lense. Hopefully somebody with some experience pulling the 246 apart will chime in, but once you can get to the meter and the lense:

1. Cut the clear tape that holds the lense to the meter body with a razor blade or similar
2. Lift the lense away
3. Desolder the lamp; I like to use some very small pliers or surgical hemostats to hold the leads of the lamp while I heat up the solder; once the solder is melted you can just lift that end of the lamp up and out of the solder...This way there is no having to remove the solder; just heat it and lift the lamp lead out of the solder cup
4. Repeat for the other side and the lamp is free
5. Pay particular attention as to whether or not the lamp is polar...Look for a dot on one end of the lamp glass, or a particular assymetry to the lamp glass...put the new lamps in with the same polarity.
6. When putting the new lamps in, hold one lead of the lamp with your tool, heat the solder and set the lead down in the solder
7. Repeat for the other end
8. Trim the leads if necessary
9. Use some new clear tape to fix the lense to the meter body when replacing the lense

For the entire procedure be very mindful to take care as the meter coil and needle are delicate.

Hope this helps.

Tascam VU meter lamps are fed with AC voltage.

There is no need to worry about polarity when installing the lamps.

The bulb filaments are very delicate. So it is best to use a small needlenose plier with a rubber band to hold it tension closed as a heatsink on the lead being soldered.

Also in many Teac meters the lamp will have to go below the meter coil in a somewhat "U"shaped pattern to allow the plastic lens cover to fit properly.

Thank you both. I was thinking about just buying a used 244 meter for $25 but figured this would be good for me to learn for future repair jobs. I ordered the lights so I'll check back and let you know how I did. The last time I soldered anything was 10 years ago so these are good tips to have.

So I began tackling this bulb replacement tonight and I've got a question that hopefully someone will be able to help me out with. The new bulb has wires coming out both ends of it while the bulb I just took out has caps on either end. I thought maybe I was supposed to put these caps on the new bulb and solder the wires into both ends when I put it back on. Otherwise I would be soldering wire directly to the harness that the bulb sits in.

i tried including a jpeg but i keep getting a not valid error.

I'm confused as to if I'm supposed to remove those caps from the old bulb and put them on the new one or just solder the wires directly to the harness?

I know exactly what you are dealing with, and unfortunately the only way to put new lamps in those snap-in fuse-type lamp sockets is to solder the leads of the new lamp in. I know that's not how the original one goes in, but that's what you have to do because those snap-in lamps are absolutely unobtanium.

I tried getting the caps off of an old lamp and glueing them to a new lamp. It didn't work because the lamp got hot and the caps wouldn't stay where they needed to. It was all a huge PITA so I ended up just soldering new leaded lamps in. I know it doesn't feel right, but in the end you can't see the difference when the meters get reinstalled.

Okay. I appreciate the info. I should have it done by tomorrow and I'm thinking of doing all of the lights as the new bulb isn't frosted and may be brighter. That shouldn't bother me but I think it will haha

Got em all replaced and it's looking great. The replacement bulb was a shade darker than the original so I just took out the other 3 and replaced em (so now I have 3 bulbs to replace if any of em go out on my personal 246). I had some trouble soldering the leads directly to the harness but I finally got it. Thanks again!

I'm a little confused as to why the member that sold me the bulbs isn't allowed to let people know he has the thing that they are looking for. At this point in time, these things are almost impossible to find so isn't it a good thing that if he happens to have them he can say that on the thread? That way, someone else searching in Google might see the thread and be able to do their own work on their machines.

Back