"Inexpensive" tape sources?

Chris Shaeffer

Peavey ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I've been looking around for tape to feed my "new" machine. Quantegy appears to be pumping out 1/2" 456 and I see it for sale at some websites for $55-60 for a reel w/ case.

I saw it somewere for $37 as a pancake, but could't find a source for reels.

Any suggestions for where to look to find relatively inexpensive tape and reels? Is what I've found about the going rate?

Thanks!
Chris

Chris Shaeffer said:
I've been looking around for tape to feed my "new" machine. Quantegy appears to be pumping out 1/2" 456 and I see it for sale at some websites for $55-60 for a reel w/ case.

I saw it somewere for $37 as a pancake, but could't find a source for reels.

Any suggestions for where to look to find relatively inexpensive tape and reels? Is what I've found about the going rate?

Thanks!
Chris

Really, I think your best bet would be eBay. If this seems obvious then sorry. Just wanted to help.

~Daniel

Not a problem at all- thanks for the tip. I did comb through ebay a bit and found a few leads- looks like a long-term-watch-for-good-stuff project, though. I didn't realize 1/4" was so much more popular than 1/2"

Found a few places that sell 1/2" tape and reels, as well. I didn't realize how recently Quantegy went under and came back up. No wonder the new tape is commanding a good price. Still, its not TOO expensive and its d@mn fun... :D

Thanks again,
Chris

Chris Shaeffer said:
Not a problem at all- thanks for the tip. I did comb through ebay a bit and found a few leads- looks like a long-term-watch-for-good-stuff project, though. I didn't realize 1/4" was so much more popular than 1/2"

Found a few places that sell 1/2" tape and reels, as well. I didn't realize how recently Quantegy went under and came back up. No wonder the new tape is commanding a good price. Still, its not TOO expensive and its d@mn fun... :D

Thanks again,
Chris

Agreed! 1/2" tape is bloody expensive as hell! I took a quick look at UK prices as well and was shocked even more as these can get double our price, which is frightenning! Makes me feel kinda good that I have 1/4" machines here, the TASCAM 388, 3440 and the like. 1/4" tape is really dirt cheap these days and unless 1/2" tape prices go down, with new competition, 1/2" machines may get less desirable to own, at least for the home recordist or ........ one will need to delete and reuse tape.

~Daniel

cjacek said:
unless 1/2" tape prices go down, with new competition, 1/2" machines may get less desirable to own
....and I might be able to afford an MSR16! Sweet! ;)

cjacek said:
Agreed! 1/2" tape is bloody expensive as hell! I took a quick look at UK prices as well and was shocked even more as these can get double our price, which is frightenning!~Daniel

It's about £10 more than it was before the crash, as far as I can see. This isn't good, of course, but it's not a disaster.

Then of course you have people like that weird joker on ebay who is selling new 1/4" tape at 1/2" prices and 1/2" tape at 1" prices.

Having said that, I do find that I'm only going to tape when I'm ready now.. before I would do it at the drop of a hat.

jpmorris said:
It's about £10 more than it was before the crash, as far as I can see. This isn't good, of course, but it's not a disaster.

Then of course you have people like that weird joker on ebay who is selling new 1/4" tape at 1/2" prices and 1/2" tape at 1" prices.

Having said that, I do find that I'm only going to tape when I'm ready now.. before I would do it at the drop of a hat.

So how much is tape in the UK, retail ? Quantegy 1/4 and 1/2" ?

cjacek said:
So how much is tape in the UK, retail ? Quantegy 1/4 and 1/2" ?

Studiospares are selling for £23.52 and £39.17 respectively (10.5" spools).
You'll also need to add 17.5% V.A.T., and delivery costs.

In my late 2004 catalogue, the prices were £16.99 and £29.95 respectively (plus tax and shipping).

River Pro audio were my preferred reseller, but they are still only offering the 467 tape.

jpmorris said:
Studiospares are selling for £23.52 and £39.17 respectively (10.5" spools).
You'll also need to add 17.5% V.A.T., and delivery costs.

In my late 2004 catalogue, the prices were £16.99 and £29.95 respectively (plus tax and shipping).

River Pro audio were my preferred reseller, but they are still only offering the 467 tape.

So that's about $43 and $72 USD respectively. Not as bad as I thought actually. Yeah, eBay sellers of Quantegy tape can get a bit greedy with their overbloated prices. Here in Canada a 1/4" reel of 407 tape on 10.5" spools is about $45 CND (or $38 USD). I don't know what my point is exactly but seems like 10.5" tape especially is getting very expensive all around. :(

Daniel

The best prices I've seen lately for new 1/2" 456 on reels (456-273111) are as follows:

$44.91
http://www.tapes.com/index.php?cPath=95_113&osCsid=e8e774cd36c13138c7b042ce0d353b1b

$46.41
http://nationalaudiocompany.com/osb/showitem.cfm?Category=4001058

$49.95
http://www.tapestockonline.com/tapestock/reeltoreel.html

Zzounds.com had it on sale for $39.99 a few weeks ago but it's back up to $59.99. Might be worth checking there now and then as things cool down.

Musiciansfriend.com has been at $79.99 since the new stock started rolling in - ouch! :mad:

Got a new pricelist, I have to pay near €240 for a reel of 2" GP9, which is $295. A box of two is near € 400.

Thanks for the converstaion, everyone.

Beck, thanks for the links. Hopefully the new Quantegy will manage to stay afloat for a good while and tape prices will come down- or at least stablize across the board. I'm not all that put off by $45 a reel, but I'm not going anywhere near $75!

-C

Back