I will probably post this in the rack, but Preamp ideas for analog setup?

Seeker of Rock

The One and Only
I know, this should go in the rack, but a lot of those guys are fronting digital systems and probably look for different qualities in their preamps. You guys have always helped me and given good answers and advice to my questions as well as having maybe a better fix on what pre would do well with and analog setup.I've been meaning to upgrade for awhile from my Joe Meek MQ3, which I still love the sound of, but I probably need to step up to something new. Any thoughts? I like the MQ3 and maybe one of the higher end pres or recording channels? I know a lot of people tend to like meek for their compressors, not so much as preamps. Anyway, I may double post in the rack...maybe not. There are probably hundreds of posts, at least tens that I have seen on this subject. I would need to stay in the $1000 range preferrably, less is better, more if it was absolutely in my best interest but keeping in mind I'm using this to record my own stuff only, not a full time studio, and the price difference from $1000 to $1500 for a little extra sparkle may not be worth it to me as it would to someone with a killer room(s) and first class equipment.
BTW, my style is basic rock and roll, 'classic' rock style if you will, most of the time drums, bass, guitars and vocals, sometimes just acoustic and vocals.

Seeker of Rock said:
but I probably need to step up to something new. Any thoughts?

Perhaps it's not that you "need" to but "want" to ? ;) Seriously, I know a limited amount about higher end preamps but I really do think that money could be better spent than getting something you don't really and truly need. My 2 cents worth and sorry if I haven't answered your question but I really believe going from a decent preamp to something many of us couldn't afford, will not affect the sound enough to make it worthwhile spending that much money. For example, I'd get more audible, real improvement from better musicians, recording engineer and rooms recording to my TEAC 3440 or TASCAM 388 then if I'd get a $5000 outboard preamp for each channel or any other exotic piece of gear, including a Gold edition Studer 24 track. But that's just me. ;)

~Daniel

You know, I've been think about this too. The MQ3 is not bad, and I don't want to buy something just because someone tells me I need to improve something because overall I like the MQ3 and to tell the truth I like the JM47 mic I have too. But there are noticeable limits I feel I'm hitting with the MQ3. I listened to 'the listening sessions' last night between the Neve, Great River, API, and whatever the other one was. After a/b'ing I could definitely hear some differences, but for the money probably not something that I "need" now, or to tell the truth probably ever unless I opened a pro studio. I have felt a need for something with a little more substance in the pre, though. Not sure how to explain what I think I need, but it is in the pre or the mic or both. I tend to think pre because I di my bass into the pre, while I mic guitar cabs and vocals. And I hear the need in the bass as well as the others. Even with $500K of gear I'm sure everyone would always find a need for more of this or that...and you're right, there is probably never an end to it.

Most of what I have learned reflects what you say...it is the playing first, but recording is a lot of WHAT you do with it from there. Big equipment will probably only make shit with a nice shinola if you have shit to begin with.
I still would like to explore some options though. The MQ3 I like, but I'm wondering what something like the VC1 would sound like. Guess I need to hear one at some point just to see whether the difference is big enough to warrant spending the $$$.

Thanks for your advice man. :D

Back