I take it all back.

robin watson

After soap boxing a little bit too much recently about convenience over outright quality regarding digital vs analog (sorry chaps, can I put it down to too much coffee and not enough paper on my desk to burn it off?), I stumble upon this article and......well, it got me thinking about the whole issue of sound again. I'm kind of D/A converted again. Apologies.

http://milbert.com/articles/SearRecordedSoundSucks.bdc[/url]

That's a good article from Sear.

Don't sweat it bro. You're one of us. Gaba Gaba Hey! :)

*very* interesting link. Great read.

Got me thinking.

Its *true* that entire generations have grown up without hearing good sound. Real sound. I had LP's growing up, but cassettes where the thing when I was a teenager. CD's were already fairly popular, but I couldn't afford a CD player AND the Les Paul... figure which one I chose... (Still have it, by the way. Just put it away after playing for a few hours. Best $1100 I ever spent.)

Ever try to share some cool little fix you've pulled off in a mix with someone who's not an audio person? They kind of look at you blankly and go "uh, huh..:confused:...um, cool." Then you crank up the ratio on the 2-buss compressor, whack up the make-up gain and they go "Yeah! DAMN dude! You sure can mix!"

Kinda frustrating, but I've gotten used to it. I've been listening INTO music almost every day for the past 15 years of so- not everyone does that. Not that I'm an audio professional anywhere near the way Sear is, but I feel a bit like I'm both aware of the problem and part of the problem... whadda ya do?

The Digi 002 sounds Ok. Clocked off a TC Finalizer it sounds much better. Mixed through the Soundtracs Solo it sounds even better. In the grand scheme of things its all "cheap" gear. I know that. I haven't yet been able to tear the Tascam 48 out of the home rig and take it to the studio for real A/B tests, but I already know what I'm going to find. And even that's "cheap" gear in the grand scheme of things.

Not a single one of my clients has complained about the sound, though. And I've worked with some pretty amazing musicians- people who actually USE their ears. Whadda ya do? Everyone and their dog has a shingle hanging outside their door saying "PRO TOOLS recording! $25/hr!" Meanwhile, folks are asking me how much I'd charge to do their demo and I don't even advertise. Do I say "Sorry. I'm not a real pro with real pro gear..."? I'm honest about my stuff and my skills and they're still happy.

Anway, I ramble. Thanks for the thought provoking link, Robin.
-Chris

robin watson said:
I'm kind of D/A converted again. QUOTE]
robin watson said:
It's another Festivus miracle!
It is hard to beat the sound of the real thing. I sold my Roland Jazz Chorus amp a couple of years back to get a Fender Super Reverb. I liked the JC, but the Fender tube amp has such character that it is really hard to compare the two because both are great amps. But the Fender is the clear winner as far as overall sound in my book. I feel the same about tape machines.
Welcome back analog!! :) :)

Good article.

I was listening to a Gershwin collection and I have to say some of those old recordings really are great. Once you get past the tape hiss. For mono one track recordings?! The balance & sound is really amazing.

Back