I got a Fostex model 20 for $40! But it needs help...

fred s.

I just picked it up, locally :)

I didn't even really "need" one, but I couldn't pass the deal!

It's sort of a fixer upper, here are the problems:

-Needs a new rubber pinch roller. I'm not sure where I can find one that would fit.

-Almost all the metal parts are a bit corroded/oxidized. The exterior of the RCA jacks, capstan, the tape path a little bit, and the heads. The thing is though the heads are in VERY good condition otherwise...almost unused.

So I was wondering what would be the best way to restore and remove the corrosion? There's even rust (not on the heads though). Rubbing alcohol did nothing ;)

- Some of the LEDs are burned out, but i can live with that.

I personally would toss it but that's just me. Too much potential work to get it to any respectable condition, from what you describe. Small amount of oxidation on / in contacts can be resolved by getting a contact cleaner, such as the one from www.caig.com but when you have much oxidation and rusting present on critical parts and, I would bet, inside, it's a ruined Fostex 20 IMHO. You can get the pinch roller re-rubbered by http://www.terrysrubberrollers.com/ but that's only a small part of an otherwise major overhaul that the recorder may need. Is it possible to restore ? Maybe but I wouldn't bother.

Does it at least power up, pass signal, reels turn etc .. ? Try running some tests. Any chance of you posting picts ? Inside too ?

Yeah it works other than the stuff I mentioned. It's not in as bad of condition as it sounds. Just some oxidized metal parts, and the rubber roller seems very hard.

But yeah it plays/records, etc...

A few years ago,...

I got a like-new Fostex Model 20 for $105, which I thought was a pretty good deal, at the time. :eek: ;)

fred s. said:
Yeah it works other than the stuff I mentioned. It's not in as bad of condition as it sounds. Just some oxidized metal parts, and the rubber roller seems very hard.

But yeah it plays/records, etc...

Ok, here's what I would do. Get the pinch roller rerubbered by Terry, pick up some caig deoxit and try to do what you can. Spray one short burst of the deoxit INTO every connector and also try to take a lint free rag and spread some of the deoxit outside the connectors as well. Let it sit there for several hours for it to really take out the oxidation, both inside and outside of the connectors. Clean the heads and entire tape path (every place where tape glides) with 99% alcohol. Demagnetize it, just in case, CORRECTLY! Fit on the pinch roller, when it arrives. Give the recorder a spin and check all rec / play functions with a steady tone of frequencies. If all is good or at least acceptable then you at least have a recorder to practice on or perhaps to restore in the future, if need be. If it works well after this, minor servicing, the consider yourself lucky. Start using it and don't worry after that.

I wouldn't spend a whole lot on it. I've torn some apart that had the inside electronics corroded so bad, it was scary. Was able to fix some, saved the good parts for another.

Really check out the guts before spending too much. :o :D

Then I would proceed with the above mentioned "minor servicing".

Is the Fostex model 20 belt driven or direct drive ?

Back