how to punch-in overdubs on tascam 38 8-track?

Pgbreathe

First post newbie. I heard a momentary
footswitch can allow punch-in overdubs. But has anyone actually done it on tascam 38 8 track 10 x 1/2" reel to reel? I could sell the unit back to original owner but I like the analog sound. It's been dormant for 15 years but was completely refurbished back then. I even have 16 channel sound hill with 4 sub channels. I'm obviously more a player/writer but if I can't punch in overdubs, ill have to go different direction with recording gear, something as simple as possible. Thanks in advance,
Paul

First post newbie. I heard a momentary
footswitch can allow punch-in overdubs. But has anyone actually done it on tascam 38 8 track 10 x 1/2" reel to reel? I could sell the unit back to original owner but I like the analog sound. It's been dormant for 15 years but was completely refurbished back then. I even have 16 channel sound hill with 4 sub channels. I'm obviously more a player/writer but if I can't punch in overdubs, ill have to go different direction with recording gear, something as simple as possible. Thanks in advance,
Paul

Yes. A momentary footswitch will work.

Hi Pgbreathe: Yea the Tascam 38 is easy to punch in with.
IMHO put the machine in Sync mode press a track (Say track one)
and push record and play Simultaneously. Then hit stop.
Get yourself a Tascam RC-30P PUNCH IN FOOTSWITCH.
Also check out page 7 of the Tascam 38 Manual.
Get yourself a free copy at HIFI ENGINE.
HiFi Engine - Owners and Service Manuals

Jack

Pgbreathe is offline New Member

The easiest way to punch in is just arm the track you are going to record to, the track record light should flash, start the tape rolling by pressing play only, then press the footswitch right where you want to punch-in, and it will start recording (the track arm light and record light will be steady). Press again, it will punch out. Press stop when needed, or continue. No need to press record and play simultaneously.

Back