Home to roost!

ron-e-g

After 12 years my ol' Tascam 388 has come back to me. I gave it to a family member. It was mint!! and also had the owners manual, A wired remote, and one...cool custom built, wood tilting,rolling stand. I hope to get the stand back soon also. Anyway after giving it a quick run through I've determined it has a stretched Capstan belt, and is missing one Orange or PGM Master Fader Knob, and one off-white or channel Fader Knob.
I've done a search to find these parts to no avail.
Any one here know of a source? I'd like the direct replacement Fader Knobs if possible. Thought someone here is, or maybe knows someone parting out one.

Thank You for any response.
Ron

Cool you've got it back. :D

I might have those. Give me a couple days and I'll post back when I know.

Last edited:
If it helps your search, the TSR-8 uses the same capstan belt as the 388. It's most likely some kind of standard, but I don't know what.

Thanks , sweetbeats.

Wow, That does indeed help to know. Thanks for that jpmorris. I love this place! it's always been full of knowlagble people, with a true heart to help others! :thumbs up:

Are the BUSS MASTER fader knobs orange with dark blue center strip?

Are the channel fader knobs beige with dark blue or dark brown center strip?

sweetbeats,

Yes the buss actually I would call pumpkin w/dark blue. The Master, is more orange looking to me. The channel faders are what looks to be beige w/ dark brown..almost black divider.

Cool.

PM sent.

I paid closer attention to your signature line...I'd forgotten you had the M-600...and totally forgot you had both an MS-16 and ATR60-16. How's the M-600 working? And if you had to pick one of the two 1" machines which one would you pick?

I'll have to look back in old threads on the M-600...can't recall what configuration yours is...

I sold both the M600, and the MS-16 to a guy from San Antonio TX. I would choose the MS hands down! The ATR seem to have a weakness in the Motherboard. The cards never seem to connect good. I was always having to remove the cover, and push/pull them to connect properly. Having said that. That may have been an isolated indecent to my machine. One thing the ATR had over the MS though , in relationship to the M-600. It had the D-Sub 25 Connections. Same as the M600.

Sorry to hijack but whenever I see Teac/Tascam OR mentioned I have ask again...

A3440 12 pin rectangular RC plug. Anyone got one?

Dave.

I sold both the M600, and the MS-16 to a guy from San Antonio TX. I would choose the MS hands down! The ATR seem to have a weakness in the Motherboard. The cards never seem to connect good. I was always having to remove the cover, and push/pull them to connect properly. Having said that. That may have been an isolated indecent to my machine. One thing the ATR had over the MS though , in relationship to the M-600. It had the D-Sub 25 Connections. Same as the M600.

Oh wow okay. So what are you using now? Did you just get out of the big stuff and are going to use the 388? Simplified the setup?

I think I'd pick the MS-16 over the ATR60 myself. The rec/play amp design is pretty neat (same as the model 58).

I didn't realize the ATR60 used dsub connectors. :eek:

I thought it used those Hirose Sumicon connectors like the MS-16. Or are you just talking about for I/O?

Sweetbeats, Yea I'm, or... was down to a couple of Daws. Now the 388 (if it indeed does still R/P)!. Yea I actually purchaced a couple of R/P cards from a 58 for the MS-16. I was referring to the I/O connections. The ATR60 had D-sub, and XLR. Where- as the MS-16 had RCA/XLR.
BTW I added stick-on weather stripping in three places, to the backside, of the amp section cover, of the ATR60. That caused the cards, to be pressed more tightly to the MB. Seemed to help.

Ran across this sweetbeats. Thought you might get a kick out of it!

sweetbeats wrote:
Was a classic, is a classic, will be a classic, and in parallel remains and will forever be a testament to a pinnacle marriage of systems completely unmatched by any other product.

You don't see it at first, the thinking that went into the 388. For instance I think the automatic monitor switching is a gem, not that I necessarily like having a machine do my thinking for me, but by having the monitor source auto-switch you save panel space, reduce the chance for impaired connectivity (by eliminating the mechanical switches), and as the brochure states you stay focused on the project. They then used the panel real estate for functions that mean something like having the individual level and pan controls for the monitor mixer separate...no dual function send controls.

I like Tascam's dig at (I'm assuming) the Akai MG series with their comment about non-standard formats. The Akai MG 1212 series recorders are the only product I know of that comes close to the 388. Some may argue that the 1212 is a better unit because it has 12 ~ 14 tracks across 1/2 inch tape and runs at 15ips but it MUST be considered that the tape is packaged in a proprietary cassette that is unobtanium for a long time now, and that the specific formulation of the tape is unknown as AFAIK so reloading the cassettes with fresh tape is a murky solution at best. And parts and service. Forget it! But on the 388 Teac has almost every single part in stock to replace everything tape touches on the 388. The only thing they don't have is the lifter assembly. That's impressive.

Plus, look at the mixer sections between the two...absolutely no comparison. And the transport on the 388... I've had extensive exposure to the bowels of Tascam's model 48 and 58 1/2 inch 8 track transports and as of late my Ampex 440 1 inch 8 track...the 388 transport is a wonderful piece of craftsmanship. Built for professional work for certain. I'm not saying the 440 transport or 48 and 58 transports aren't impressive, but the 388 is professional to scale. Very finely built and designed. I'm impressed with it. I'm not against the Fostex 1/4 inch 8 tracks at all. They are really great sounding but from what I've seen of the construction and design of the Fostex units compared to the 388 the 388 is in a different class. Why did they not design it to run at 15ips then? I think there are two reasons: 1. it is a production machine with a strong focus on opening the doors of the creative process...do you want to be switching reels or do you want to be tracking? Plus with the push to have it as a viable partner for video production it would fall short if reels needed to be swapped every 20 minutes. That would not work. 2. Squeezing solid performance out of those narrow tracks requires compromise, but to design the gap for 7.5ips gave the 388 SOLID LF peformance...its -3dB point is at 30Hz! If it ran at 15ips it would loose LF response at a gain of HF response but mostly in the inaudible range. Teac thought it through.

And back to the mixing section...no compromises in construction there, just smart choices about what is useful and necessary and it puts just about ANY small format mixer to shame presently offered in a wide price bracket...Teac put the 388's mixer together with the same quality and components you will find inside the M-300 and M-500 mixers. It truly is a professional machine. Take it from somebody who obsessively tears stuff completely apart and learns his gear inside and out. I'm impressed.

And I have to mention how easy so many of the PCB's are to access...4 screws and you have instant access to PULL-OUT cards for the PSU, reel servo, meter amp, and balance amp PCB's as well as (of course) the recorder amp cards, bias PCB's and dbx cards. Anything else in this format requires a complete removal of the shell of the deck. I couldn't get over it when I discovered that the PSU is on a plugin card.

I'll stop ranting, but the 388 will always be a signpost pointing to what was ahead for analog before the market tragically shifted.

Back