Home-made analog cassette tape delay project

ohhh, one lil thing I forgot to mention, just in case. If anybody get into trying to make something similar, take a look at JVC TD-W106 (or I think there were couple other similar models). I am not sure, cos I never had this one opened up etc...., but it looks like the best machine for the "task" :).... the trays are one-next-the-other and record tray is on the left already. Looks like less crafting around. You still may need two of the decks ... it depends on how you can deal with electronics etc...

anyhow,
/respects,

Dr ZEE said:
SteveMac, what exactly model of your machine? In general any three-head r-t-r machine with monitor/rec/repro-play selector/switch can be used as tape-delay. Speed control will change delay-time. You can loop/or simply run the tape. The general trick is primitive - send signal from play head through mixer channel (so you can controll level of feedback) back to input of the deck. You gotta try it...
i'll be back tonight
thnks again
/respects

Yeah I would like to try it. If you know of a link that shows you how to make a loop let me know. I could just run a tape on it but I'd like to try a loop. The model is a Sony TC-570 Solid State, 3 head 1/4 reel to reel. It's a consumer tape deck that has speaker outputs and a Echo/SOS volume knob. It's got one of those turn dials on it to FF RV or Play.

I try alot of Unconventional things when I'm recording. Something I did recently (and I'm not sure it's a good idea)was I wanted to use the tube's in a Supro amp for bass and vocals but I wanted a direct signal so I connected the wires from one end of a 1/4" cable to the speaker terminals and plugged it in direct. I got a good and pretty clean signal and did some recording with it but I started worrying I was going to get electrocuted so I stopped doing it. :D Is it not a good idea to do that ? :eek: :D

Steve,
here's the page I've found, there scroll down... basics are there, but for delay there as described two decks are used (one as record deck the second-as play back deck): http://arts.ucsc.edu/ems/music/equipment/analog_recorders/Analog_Recorders.html
You also need mixer to do the trick. Send signal from you mixer's channel to input of your deck, set monitor(out) to repro/play .... so you get play-back head out in your deck's outputs. Now you need to send output signal from your deck back to input of the deck and have level control over this (feedback) signal. I do all this on my mixing console, but I have 8 subgroups and direct outs... I also insert EQ in feedback 'line' (well this is option.... when you start messing around with this stuf you realise that it IS very useful :)
Speaking of tape loops, you gotta check these guys page out... lol, it does not go any crazier

/mz

SteveMac said:
... I connected the wires from one end of a 1/4" cable to the speaker terminals and plugged it in direct... Is it not a good idea to do that ? :eek: :D

No! You could fry your inputs!! :eek:

A Reel Person said:
No! You could fry your inputs!! :eek:

I don't want to do that. :eek: Glad I asked I probably won't try that again.

Thanks for the link Dr Zee. I'll have to get to trying that out real soon.

Back