Holy crap do I feel crazy

antispatula

I started months ago with the thought of getting a mic, a compressor, and equilizer, and computer program. THEN I would be set and I could happily record. But then it turned into this crazy thing and I've gotten pretty into making a little studio. It's taken months to get all my stuff, I don't get much money. Then again, the only thing I spend my money on is music. And dennys and gas. I've got my otari 8 track, a vintage EQ, a dbx266, at3035 (want a 4050) a few sm57's, piece of crap mixer (want a mackie cr1604 or ANY soundcraft) tr6 event monitors and other things like a rhodes, a hohner pianet t, etc. Now I've finnally got my otari running and have decided to record directly into the otari w/ out a mixer.

So I was wondering: Is this smart? I'll of course go through a pre first though. Preamp gain is better to add before you record it right? Anyways, just wondering if this is an ok idea. If it is, I'd be able to start recording decently very soon, and I've been waiting for what seems a trillion years. I've got 7 songs ready, and about 25 others in the making, and can't wait to start recording. I've been limited to (shudder) audacity and the r8 for a long time.

yeah man I know what you mean. you realize that you don't like your gear, and then you get your heart set on a new piece of gear, and you don't even want to record anything until you get it. been there tons of times man. the thing is that you can't let your gear get in the way of your creativity - that IS why you are upgrading in the first place, right???

antispatula said:
Is this smart? I'll of course go through a pre first though. Preamp gain is better to add before you record it right? Anyways, just wondering if this is an ok idea.

As long as it is line level input go ahead and record.
You get line level from the preamp.

If you don't have a mixer, you can monitor all tracks through the phone out.

It isn't a spacial sound through the phone jack because there is no L/R, but it's more important to start recording now with what you have.

hey guys thank for the help. Just for fun, here's a song I reocorded last summer at my friends house using (shudder) a pc. We used an at3035, but had no treatement at all, that's why it sounds weird. But it was the first song I ever wrote and completed. I've got 7 others completed and about 25 in the making. This song is NOT a good reprisentation of my general style, but it is special to me since it was the first song I created (besides a piano piece when I was ten.. :p )

And this is the only one I've copyrighted too (30 bucks!!! :eek: ) :D

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=372882

tell me what you think. Again, this sounds so nice and happyish, most of my stuff has guitar and electric piano and conga drums and stuff too.

Back