Hey Beck

Herm

I have found out that it looks like one of my 22-4,s is biased for 457 tape and the other looks like it is set up for 407.
When I record a tone in to the recorder at 0 vu in the source mode and play it back the meters are at 7 on play back but if I use 457 they go up where they should be acept one channel and its a little low.
I have never set the recording bias before and Im not sure about what they are saying in the manual. They mention needing a test tape to do this.
I didnt think one was needed as long as you had a 1k tone to record as you where setting the bias. is this correct or do I need a ohm meter and everthing like that to set the bias back to 407 standards?
I hope this makes sense :confused:

I'm not Beck, but....

Calibration tapes are only used for setting repro levels and for checking azimuth alignment as far as I'm aware.

Setting the bias level is as you mentioned with a 1Khz test tone signal generator and the vu meter of the deck itself.

Though I have a pretty good understanding of the calibration process, I still use a professional technician to do my machines as I don't own the MRL tapes or a scope and feel better knowing I have someone to bitch to when things go bad. Considering that a TASCAM deck in decent shape will hold its calibration setting for a very long time, it's a wise investment to let a pro deal with it and be comforted by knowing the job was done right.

Cheers! :)

for calibrating the one meter that is off, I think the test tape is so that you can set your playback levels first. otherwise you won't know if your record levels are off.

Herm,

You are only concerned with the signal levels here because the record bias for 406/407 and 456/457 is the same… unless someone has changed it.

If someone has changed the levels there’s no telling what else is out of whack. You can’t be sure of what they’ve done… bias, record/repro levels, meters… who knows?

This can be tricky because you have to make some assumptions to set anything without a meter telling you the true electrical values.

If you are confident that the other machine set for 407 is right, you can record tones on it and play them back on the machine you want to set. You would still need to get a multi-meter to measure levels though for the other adjustments.

If you want to be absolutely sure you should spring for an MRL tape, which you could use on all your 22-x machines. If you’re just concerned with 15 ips the tape to get is MRL 21J105… cost about $105.00.

Ok thanks guys the only problem with having someone else do this for me is the closest place would be in chicago and that a 140 mile trip one way.

A couple more thoughts...

The Tascam manuals can be a little hard to read, as they are notorious for the Japo-Saxon English. The first two links below do a pretty good job explaining the calibration process. The third link is for the Tascam 32 manual, which IMO seems a little easier to follow than the 20 series manuals.

http://home.swipnet.se/herbalifeinfo/Audio/engRULL2.htm

http://www9.dw-world.de/rtc/infotheque/magn_recording/magrec_07.html#k7

http://www.tascamcontractor.com/ftp_resources/files/manual/32_manual.pdf

Hope this helps

Tim

Back