Help my pick a board to pair with 80-8? I have three options.

super_wolf_taco

I'm a guitarist and sometimes songwriter, and it's been a very long time since I've recorded anything. When I did, I started on cassette. Later, I used my laptop. I preferred cassette... I liked being constrained, the sound of lo-fi, and it just fit with my attitude. Lately, I've been having the itch to record again and have been idly thinking about how I want to go about it... so when an 80-8 came up for free on craiglist, I snagged it. So I guess that's how I'll be recording!

But I'll need a board. There are three on CL right now that are all tempting.

• There's an Tascam M-320B... which I'm familiar with because I had an M-312 back in the day paired with a 238. I remember how gigantic it was, and the 20-channel version will be even bigger... not sure how I feel about that. But I also feel like this is the obvious choice.
  • There's also an M-1516.
  • And lastly, there's a Ramsa WR-S4412.

All are close by and stupid cheap. If I had the $$$, I'd just buy them all. But I really don't/shouldn't. I could probably get by with any of them... but I thought I'd ask for some strangers' advice, if anyone has any.

I'll be using the board for both recording and mixing. Which one would you get? Or would you hold out for some other grail?

Thanks! :thumbs up:

Personally, I'd make room for the 320B. They are well thought of and built very well. The only issue you may run into is deteriorating capacitors. It happens over time. If you are handy at all with electronics, they are easy to replace. You should be very happy.

What did you end up doing?

Curious what they want for the M-320B.

This mixer is based around the 5532, has a really smart feature set and has a nice sound. It would be my choice.

Had a 320b and a Ramsa and I can tell you the Tascam has better recording features and would be easier use in a studio setup but the Ramsa is going to sound better.

Back