Help Fix Buzzing M-30

poopchute

I am trying to use my new M-30 mixer and I have noticed that certain channels seem to be more noisy than others. I have set the eq and all settings to be the same on said channels. And it seems like even the cleaner channels are adding noise to my POD line6/Guitar set up.
What specifically should I look into cleaning/lubing/working to try to get this buzz fixed? Is there something specific I can look at? And can I go a step further and replace "caps" or any type of fuses or electronics that may wear out and lose their value/resistance?

If particular channels are buzzing or humming more then others, I'd look at all the grounding points for the channel cards which might come in the form of screws and multi-pin connectors which might be oxidized or loose. Re-seating connectors, applying a good quality contact cleaner like Caig's Deox-it and tightening up any screws would be my starting point.

Cheers! :)

I didnt know that the M-30 had channel cards. Are they hard to get at? And which is the best way into all the good stuff on the M-30? I dont have a manual. I started on the top and it got to be waayyy too much stuff to take off and remember.

To get to all connections all you have to do is take the bottom off of the mixer. But if you need to take a card out for anything else then you will need
to take all knobs off and a couple of nuts.

OK I got the bottom off and have been staring at the wonderful engineering that must have gone into getting all of that stuff to fit nice and neatly inside the chassis. And to my suprise the inside is very clean.
I would take a picture to post but I dont have a camera.
My main question is where are the grounds for each individual channel? I see there is a white, blue, and black wire that comes out of each xlr connection. Im assuming the black is the ground. But it just appears to run right up to a channel card and ends in a nice neat white snap on connector. The only place it could be bad is the solder joint at the xlr input.
I am wondering if you can calibrate the machine like you can a Tascam 32 or 38? I see on each channel card there are 2 pots for adjusting, and a couple more on some other cards.
Im personally thinking that the problem may be something that can be solved by some type of calibration. Hopefully.

On a Side Note: Why does my Rep Power number say 0 but if I click on my profile it says 26202 or something like that?

Last edited:
Well upon closer inspection I noticed that the blue,white, and black wires that are soldered into the xlr ports. Well the little tabs that they are soldered to are slightly loose. If I take a pin or needle and try and wiggle them only 1 channel appears to be solid. Is this bad or nothing to worry about.

To find the ground rails, you really need the owner's manual which will document all circuits. If you don't have it, you're really going to be working in the dark. As for figuring out the colors for your xlr connectors, pin zero is ground. Pins 2 and 3 are the hot and cold signals...(in phase and out of phase).

It's truly best not to try calibrating anything in there. Don't mess with those internal pots! Especially without the manual or a specific level issue to chase down.

The best you can hope for is to plug in a Mic on the noisier channels and do a bit of wire jiggling to see if anything is intermittent or effecting hum and buzz levels. If you are going to unplug any harnesses, be sure to turn the power off first.

Better still, consider seeking out a qualified technician in your area and get an estimate and service from them if it's fea$able to fix it.

About the rep;

Nothing shows up publicly until you've made 50 posts in the normal forums here. Cave posts don't count, nor can you give or receive rep in there.

Well upon closer inspection I noticed that the blue,white, and black wires that are soldered into the xlr ports. Well the little tabs that they are soldered to are slightly loose. If I take a pin or needle and try and wiggle them only 1 channel appears to be solid. Is this bad or nothing to worry about.

Unless an actual xlr connector is plugged into them, they might seem a bit loose as there is no inserted pins in there to stop them from moving around a little.

Back