HEAR YE! HEAR YE! The Otari MX-5050 8 track is UNBALANCED!!!

Muckelroy

It's true, dammit. and i'm kinda pissed, but oh well.

For those of you who don't know this already -- like me an hour ago -- the input/output of the Otari MX-5050 8 track 1/2" recorder is as follows:

Tip = hot signal
Ring = ground
Sleeve = ground

which means.................................unbalanced hookups w/ extra ground............so uh, yeah. don't let the XLR jacks fool ya.

GREAT DECK, just corky hookups.

-callie-

Minor details. It ain't going to substantially affect the end product. If you own an Otari already, then your audio sweetness is already in hand. Don't sweat the details, man.

I know, I know. Don't sweat the details.

Although it would be nice to have a fully-balanced pre-tape signal flow, it really doesn't matter a whole lot with as short of snakes that will be used in this setup.

But please tell me that the pro Otari decks ARE balanced? (MX-70, MTR-90,)

An what about the MX-5050 2-track decks? are they balanced?

-callie-

MX 70 is balanced

You can change the inputs and outputs on the electronics cards. I have the 16 track and it's heavy! Will check the specs tonight on the true weight.

MX 70 weight

The manual states 268 lbs. for the 16 track version. Now i know why my back hurts!

JerAy said:
The manual states 268 lbs. for the 16 track version. Now i know why my back hurts!
The TSR-8 is around 30kg. This is like 120kg. I'd never even get it up the stairs!
Pity. There's one configured for 8-tracks going on e-bay that I could almost afford.

i took a friend along when i picked the machine up. it didn't look to heavy but we almost "busted a nut" getting it into and out of a small suv. maybe you can get a 4 man lift crew to bring it up. pizza and beer for all? it's a great machine, rock solid and smooth plus it sounds great!

This is the ANALOG FORUM!! SIZE IS NOT AN ISSUE WITH OUR GEAR. BIGGER IS BETTER!! REMEMBER??? :)

j/k.

I now appreciate brute strength more than ever after having surgery on a not-so-fun-to-operate-on-part-of-my-body if you know what I mean.

The recovery period should be only about 3 weeks, but dammit, it's quite a wake-up call when you're forced to not laugh, cough, play trumpet, or lift ANYTHING for 3 weeks.

So yeah. Strengh is now something I no longer take for granted. The ability to lift large, HEAVY CRAP (namely recording gear and vintage keyboards :D ) is something I ESPECIALLY no longer take for granted. Can't wait to get back up and running.

-callie-

i have 4 "blown" disk's in my lower back. found this out months after i pick the otari up. i can now throw my back out if i blink wrong! hope you get well soon! btw, good call on the "big is good"!

Seeker of Rock said:
Big-ass analog machines suck to move, but oh what heavenly audio pleasures they reward with.

fo really. who cares about how you are going to get it up the stairs. there is ALWAYS a way. I had to slide my MTR90 onto its back to fit it into the back of an SUV. It was just myself and two dear friends. we used 1" plywood, blankets, rope and beer. Performed an alignment when I got it home and into the (ground level studio) and the damn thing was still perfect! There is just this feeling of awe that comes over me every time I throw the power switch on the thing and the VU lamps come on and the cooling fans kick in. It just feels like I'm about to do something way more important than I actually am. There is nothing like it.

--doris

doris said:
fo really. who cares about how you are going to get it up the stairs. there is ALWAYS a way. I had to slide my MTR90 onto its back to fit it into the back of an SUV. It was just myself and two dear friends. we used 1" plywood, blankets, rope and beer. Performed an alignment when I got it home and into the (ground level studio) and the damn thing was still perfect! There is just this feeling of awe that comes over me every time I throw the power switch on the thing and the VU lamps come on and the cooling fans kick in. It just feels like I'm about to do something way more important than I actually am. There is nothing like it.

--doris

So, 2", huh? How's that thing treatin' you?

Do you run your own studio? or what's your story?

Just thought I'd ask. Not bein' nosy or anything. 2" is serious stuff, and you either don't know what you got yourself into, or know what you're doing :D

-callie-

Muckelroy said:
So, 2", huh? How's that thing treatin' you?

Do you run your own studio? or what's your story?

Just thought I'd ask. Not bein' nosy or anything. 2" is serious stuff, and you either don't know what you got yourself into, or know what you're doing :D

-callie-

hey,
It's a 1" 8 track. The MTR 90's (mine's an MTR 90 II) came in one outfit ready for 2" 24 track but could be configured in several different ways. My machine has room for a 2" headstack, slots for 24 cards and VU's, they're just not used. My story: total amateur. i've been recording myself and friends for years. Started on 2 boomboxes, progressed through 2 cassette 4 tracks, ADAT, and then a Tascam TSR-8 (see the long sad thread in this very archive about how that phase ended). I killed my TSR-8 with a demagnetizer (that answers the last part of your question) and was looking for something in the same league to replace it. I came across a good deal on the Otari and just decided to take the plunge. It is purely a hobby for me. I am completely aware of how rediculously overkill this thing is for my purposes, but I don't care. I'm totally happy I risked it and am loving it.

--doris

Hey, MORE POWER TO YOU!!!!! Taking the plunge is good.

I would kill for a 2" style machine that could be adapted into any format like that. Well, maybe not kill a human.... :rolleyes:

Coolest of beans.

-callie-

Hi,

I know this is an old thread but I recently got one of these otari mx5050 8tracks and when I go out of my board with a 1/4" TRS to XLR in the input of the tape machine I get no signal. I tried a TS 1/4" also. When I plug a microphone directly into the machine I get a signal. I've tried the 1/4" to XLR cable on other things and I've had no problems. What do you use to go into the board? Thanks for any help you guys can give me, I know I sound like a total noob.

Cheers

Back