Healthy Demagnetizing

Good Friend

I have a tascam 38 and a teac demagnetizer with a little plastic tip on it. What is the proper way to demagnetize, touch the plastic to the metal parts, or move it close to the metal parts? I thought i knew but i want to make sure once and for all so i know for a fact im not ruining the machine. Thanks for any help on such a newbie question.

I was always told to bring the demagger in from afar, turned on, and making small circles while going in. You don't want to touch the heads, but get damned close. Continue making small circles while you pull back, then repeat for the next head. It's a good idea to demag the other metal parts in the tape path as well (guide posts/wheels). And don't keep the demagger turned on too long or you can fry it. It should say on the device itself, but it's usually something like 1 minute on, 20 minutes off. AND MAKE SURE THE 38 IS TURNED OFF!!!!!

ok

What ive been doing is turning the 38 off, turn the damagger on from far away, bring it in slowly, and move it around very near everything then pull away slowly and turn off far away. I thought that was correct but i want to make sure.

Good Friend said:
What ive been doing is turning the 38 off, turn the damagger on from far away, bring it in slowly, and move it around very near everything then pull away slowly and turn off far away. I thought that was correct but i want to make sure.
That should be fine. The way I do it is a bit more anal and time consuming, but you're not going to hurt anything your way.

I go in circles about 1/8" to 1/4" away from the heads and metal tape path parts for about 10-15 seconds each then move away very slowly.

How often are you supposed to demag? Before every important recording?

It's an alternating current flux field so moving it in circles isn't necessary. :) In otherwords the field contains it's own movement.

The action of moving it in circles ensures a more even coverage of effect on larger parts in need of demagnetizing like larger sized heads and guides. It's also is more important to do this with weaker demagnetizers like the TEAC E1 which doesn't generate as strong a field as the "Han-D-Mag", which is popular amongst many industry professionals using larger format machines.

I spend about 3 seconds around each head and guide and come as close to the head without touching it as possible. There's a two fold reason for doing so; First to ensure a more even application of the tool and secondly to ensure you don't scratch the heads.

Cheers! :)

I've always been under the impression that if you actually touched the heads with the demag, you could actually leave a permanent field on the head itself....which seems a little counter-intuitive to me. Is this true?

TeyshaBlue said:
I've always been under the impression that if you actually touched the heads with the demag, you could actually leave a permanent field on the head itself....which seems a little counter-intuitive to me. Is this true?

I've heard that only happens if you touch the head with the bare metal probe, but if the probe is insulated with plastic or rubber, it doesn't happen.

jpmorris said:
I've heard that only happens if you touch the head with the bare metal probe, but if the probe is insulated with plastic or rubber, it doesn't happen.

Oh yeah...that's why the tip is covered! Man, I'm thick today. :rolleyes: :D

Thanks JP! :cool:

jpmorris said:

Exactly, which is why I use a "Han-D-Mag". It is made with a plastic coating. :)

The Ghost of FM said:
The action of moving it in circles ensures a more even coverage of effect on larger parts in need of demagnetizing like larger sized heads and guides. It's also is more important to do this with weaker demagnetizers like the TEAC E1 which doesn't generate as strong a field as the "Han-D-Mag", which is popular amongst many industry professionals using larger format machines.

I spend about 3 seconds around each head and guide and come as close to the head without touching it as possible. There's a two fold reason for doing so; First to ensure a more even application of the tool and secondly to ensure you don't scratch the heads.

One slow smooth pass close to each portion of metal does the job. Little circles? Take a physics class or something. :rolleyes:

monty said:
One slow smooth pass close to each portion of metal does the job. Little circles? Take a physics class or something. :rolleyes:
monty,

It's a certified trip to move in circles! To do the dance of death with an épée thrust willfully and skillfully at the belly of the beast; Your heads. :eek:

Smooth, slow passes may well rule the roost on this occasion, however, magnetic circles surround us all where we stand. Orbital harmony must be achieved! ;)

Back