Has Anyone Tried Using The 388's Monitor Section

Mark7

As a third effects send during mixdown?

The way I'm thinking is that, since you're using the remix function, and all the signals are coming directly off tape through the Studio 8's main mixer, you don't really need the monitor submixer for monitoring. And since there's nothing preventing you from using both the XLR and RCA stereo out jacks at the same time (the circuit diagram doesn't indicate that one overrides the other) to send the mix to your monitors and your mixdown machine, the monitor out jacks are free to be used for something else. Like extra effect sends.

A simple 4:2 line mixer could then be used to combine the signals from the Eff Send, Aux Send and Mon Outs and feed them into the mix via the Effect Return or Stereo In jacks.

Never owned one, but see no reason you couldn't. I could be wrong considering I'm only right a few times a month, but it's worth experimenting with.
:-)

This should definitely work. If you didn't have a 4x2 line mixer, you could just bring the returns into one of the PGM BUSS IN pairs, although you'd have to set the dry/wet mix with the effect processor.

I'm not sure the PGM Buss Ins feed into the main mix.

Nope, doesn't look like it.

The manual says they do.

"Signals from these inputs are routed to the PGM MASTERS faders, MONITOR submix, and PGM OUTputs. They will be recorded, along with any signals from the eight channels of your mixer by the Studio 8's recorder."

Yeah but, since I'm proposing using the monitor section as extra fx sends, wouldn't that create a feedback loop (Monitor Out jacks to FX Unit, to PGM Buss In jacks, to Monitor submix, to Monitor Outs....)

Yeah but, since I'm proposing using the monitor section as extra fx sends, wouldn't that create a feedback loop (Monitor Out jacks to FX Unit, to PGM Buss In jacks, to Monitor submix, to Monitor Outs....)

Oh, yeah I think you're right. Guess you'd need a submixer after all. Unless of course you only needed the effect on one track --- then you could just use the insert.

Back