GREAT packing showcase!!! IMHO a MUST READ!!

I hate to say it but the packing displayed in those photos wouldn't protect the recorder inside from any serious drop or puncture wounds. A deck of the weight and heft of a 3340 requires at least 3 inches of rigid foam on all of the sides, not just on the face and the carton should be double boxed and taped on all seams to protect the integrity of the contents.

When I moved my recorders back in June of this year, I went as far as to reinforce the insides of my cartons with plywood to protect from puncture wounds to the box. I realize most ebay sellers won't go to that length to protect your purchase but in reality custom hardshell casing like road cases are the only decently safe way of shipping expensive, delicate recording gear.

Cheers! :)

Foam panels are good, but you need to wrap the deck in 3 layers of bubble-wrap first, a drop and backpanel of that particular deck is very sensitive.
I do similar packing but after the bottom of the box is taped several times, cut styrofoam as a bed, fill 3-4 inches of peanuts, wrap the deck in bubble-wrap covering all sides 3 times, tape it together so it's protected on all corners and back panel. Some decks I use a seperate styrofoam panel between the layers of bubble-wrap.
Then the deck goes in the box, atleast 2-3 inches between deck and styrofoam panels, fill peanuts very tight all around, put a empty plasticbag on top with packing slip if the outside label get destroyed or fall off.
Buyers phone nr, email address etc + your info is very important.
Had several packages with the UPS scan label came off in handling.
Seal the box with another styrofoam sheet covering the top, and tape it all around with quality packing tape, no duct-tape or household tape.
Fragile stickers on all sides of the box and it's ready to go. ;)
I have seen some very bad packing and as Ghost mentioned a roadcase is the best solution.
When I buy a bigger deck from private people I ship out a roadcase, deck is in up-rigth position, wrapped one time with bubble-wrap and inside of the road-case has glued on padding + bottom with both styrofoam + extra padding.
Of course it cost more but better then having a pile of crap when unpacking as many of us know from past experiences buying over the net. :mad:

Just my 2-cents of packing heavy stuff. :cool:

One of those stores packed and shipped a 21" monitor from one of our offices to mine. It got dropped, and the corner was cracked. FedEx bought us a new one and I took home the old one for free. :D

Here's a pic of the damage.

Attachments

• mon.jpg
    mon.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 20
Back