Got a Scully 280 4-track !

Yep. I don't blame you for switching back to 8 track though it's hard to plan 4 tracks. I'm on a second song now I'm trying to figure out, but here's one that has a long history. Because I had one of those spills on my old transport, it ripped the middle of the song, I transferred it to digital to splice in some parts, then back on the 440. Then I added drums and bounced the drums and bass to one track in sync mode. Now I have two tracks left to add a couple things. Confusing story haha So here's the unfinished, unmixed MP3.

sounds cool, that's a fat snare !

Oh, nice. That Biamp unit looks pretty serious. Which tracks feature the verb and which feature the delay from the Tascam?

reverb on everything except bass. delay on the vocals, 12-string electric leads. Delay also on the the rock-si-chord during the main track, but not on the intros & outros. I think it's on the glockenspiel at the intro (but not in the main track) as well. the tape delay can be most prominently heard on the 12-string electric on the intro (it was recorded direct, no amp).

yeh, the biamp sounds really cool, almost like a lo-fi chamber in my opinion.

here's the layout of how the thing was tracked:

main track:

1 - maestro rhythm king
2 - acoustic 12-string
4 - drums
bounce all to 3 (in PLAY mode)

1 - glockenspiel
3 - additional drums
4 - maestro/acoustic/drums
bounce all to 2 (in PLAY mode)

1 - vocal 1
2 - maestro/acous/drum1/drum2/glock
bounce 1 to 3 (in SYNC mode), while recording vocal 2

1 - rocksichord
3 - vocals
bounce 1 to 4 (in SYNC mode) while recording 12-string lead to 4

1 - bass
3 - vocals
4 - 12-string electric/rocksichord

--

intro:

1 - bass
2 - rocksichord
3 - glockenspiel
4 - electric 12 string

--

outro:

1 -
2 - rocksichord
3 - melodica
4 -

--

Interesting. I heard (from Peter Howell and at least one other guy) that you would usually record the bass first - i.e. at the bottom of the stack - since the generation loss was less obvious when bouncing.

Interesting. I heard (from Peter Howell and at least one other guy) that you would usually record the bass first - i.e. at the bottom of the stack - since the generation loss was less obvious when bouncing.

that makes sense, but I find that bass & vocals are the two instruments I need more control over when mixing, because they tend to sound different across a variety of systems.

here's the layout of how the thing was tracked:

main track:

1 - maestro rhythm king
2 - acoustic 12-string
4 - drums
bounce all to 3 (in PLAY mode)

1 - glockenspiel
3 - additional drums
4 - maestro/acoustic/drums
bounce all to 2 (in PLAY mode)

1 - vocal 1
bounce 1 to 3 (in SYNC mode), while recording vocal 2

1 - rocksichord
3 - vocals
bounce 1 to 4 (in SYNC mode) while recording 12-string lead to 4

1 - bass
3 - vocals
4 - 12-string electric/rocksichord

--

intro:

1 - bass
2 - rocksichord
3 - glockenspiel
4 - electric 12 string

--

outro:

1 -
2 - rocksichord
3 - melodica
4 -

--

Thanks for sharing this. It's great to see how it was done.

thank you,

it's a Biamp MR-140 (spring unit w/ EQ & limiter), plus a Tascam 22-2 at 7.5 ips for delay.

LWF, Do you know the series of the chain of effects in that unit, as in where the compressor is? Is it at the beginning or the end of the chain? Is it there to limit the "boing" effect? It sounds great.

LWF, Do you know the series of the chain of effects in that unit, as in where the compressor is? Is it at the beginning or the end of the chain? Is it there to limit the "boing" effect? It sounds great.

hmm, you know I'm not sure about the chain. I looked for a manual online but couldn't find one. I think you're correct in that the limiter's function to reduce the 'boing', although it still gets a little here and there.

and just to clarify, there is no limiter function that you can control ... it's a reverb only unit (with EQ for the reverb), but I have read that a limiter is in the chain.

Dude.
I've been trying to sell mine for a while.
Put it up on craigs several times.
Currently posted up on T...op.
I'm only 10 miles from your house to boot!
Mine is the 280B model which has the improved transport.
It also has a half dozen NOS headstacks!
half inch 2 and 4 tracks and quarter inch 2 and 4 tracks.
Plus an extra NOS moter and a bunch of other extra parts.

You just have to learn to shuttle and you will be fine.

I'm having trouble finding a 280 over here in Ireland. I don't suppose it makes sense talking about shipping from the US?

I'm having trouble finding a 280 over here in Ireland. I don't suppose it makes sense talking about shipping from the US?

I've got a silverface 280 2-track for sale ... but yeh, shipping even within the US sometimes costs more than the machine ... out of the country is basically too cost-prohibitive.

congrats ... the prices have been going up lately, but I noticed a few sold recently for reasonable prices. I think I paid $80 for my first one, and $140 for my 2nd. Sold the first one (broken) for about $50. what'd you pay?

i like it on drums! check out the 'post your analog recordings' thread for some recent examples ... it's pretty prominent in those clips.

Back