got my eye on a 388, what's a fair price?

Hi_Flyer

So I posted an ad on cragslist awhile back, here's the most promising response so far:

I have one that is fairly low mileage. I got a ProTools digital system about a year ago, but, sadly to date, that hasn't seen very much service either! One of these days...

Anyway, the Tascam 388 works pretty well. It was not in a smoke free environment, but I've cleaned it occasionally over the years. More importantly, I demagnetized and cleaned the heads befor each use with chlor-floro something or other (alcohol can potetially hurt the heads). So, the heads are in good shape. I just used it for the fun of it and working out ideas, not as a commercial demo things for other people. And generally, I barely find time to play guitar most of the time.

The number one channel XLR input does not seem to be functioning. I never looked to see what the problem was because I just bounced the channels over from another fader/input strip; the track/head itself still records to tape. Not sure I ever checked to see if the 1/4" input still works on that channel. I could do that and let you know. And, I think the light for the master VU meter needs to be replaced, but the meter itself works. Other than that, I think it's ok for its age, except for maybe some gum on the vinyl wrist cushion. I put duct tape on to mark the players for the channel strips with grease pencil. I've got some laundry gum remover that will probably take that right off (that time thing again).

I have the manual (and probably the original box). I was hoping to get about $500 for it. I also have a remote for it (that was like a hundred bucks), and I'll throw in the head demagnetizer.

I'll probably have to drive about 2 1/2 hours to pick it up... What do you guys think, should I try to talk him down a bit? I feel like I should at least *try*. I'm not interested in the remote pedal or the de-magger.

Also, he said the unit has never had a calibration or head alignment. Between that and the broken XLR input, I'm thinking I'll want to get it serviced after I get it (I will probably need all channels recording simultaneously so the broken XLR won't do).

How much damage does cigarette smoke do? he said it was NOT in a smoke-free environment...

Any other questions I should ask?

I'm mainly interested in tracking stuff like guitars and drums and bass to tape, then dumping into the PC to mix and do overdub vox etc...

It sounds like it needs a little work, nothing major, just a little cleaning up. As for 500, you need to talk him down; one in good condition will go for about 400 if I'm not mistaken.

Not too long ago I made a local deal on a nearly "factory fresh" 388 for 480 Canadian (which is like $400 USD) with original manual. Tell him you'll take it off his hands for $250, cash in hand (tell him that) as this 388 obviously needs some TLC.

~Daniel

Yeah, that's good advice.

It needs some work, so $500 is too high. $250 would be more like it.

The remote is not a pedal, it's a 5-button wired remote, and you should make sure that's thrown in. The RC-71 remote sells for $60-$125 regulary on Ebay, and it's an important accessory that's worth having.

The condition of the deck is not optimal and it needs work, outright. Talk him down. A smoky environment can be really hard on the rubber and plastic components of the 388. It will deteriorate the belts and grommets, and may even turn the ivory white keys and caps to a yellowed off-white, which in general is undesirable. Smoke can also compromise contacts, pots & faders in it's worst cases. It's more than a small consideration, & all the more reason to talk him down, down down!;)

PS: That's too far to drive for just any piece of junk! This one is questionable.

Last edited:
wow you really think its "questionable"? I was thinking it might be pretty good if its really as he describes... Although I was thinking $500 was a bit high.

I've been watching ebay for awhile, and they're all over the place, pricewise. I just saw one go for almost $700. A really junky one just went for like $100...

What do you think the "chloro-whatever" stuff he is talking about on the heads? I've never heard of that. I've always heard that alcohol is just fine.

Hi_Flyer said:
wow you really think its "questionable"? I was thinking it might be pretty good if its really as he describes... Although I was thinking $500 was a bit high.

I've been watching ebay for awhile, and they're all over the place, pricewise. I just saw one go for almost $700. A really junky one just went for like $100...

What do you think the "chloro-whatever" stuff he is talking about on the heads? I've never heard of that. I've always heard that alcohol is just fine.

Yes, 99% alcohol is fine so I'm not sure what the fella is talkin' about. Reel is right (Dave) that to drive out that amount of distance in fuel and time costs, would have to be for a better described machine. If it were a 15 minute drive then it's worth the "go see" but other than that it's a gamble. If you can afford to waste, I assume 2 1/2 hrs each way, in fuel and time then go for it but personally I would not pay more than $250 and that's if he lived in my neighbourhood. This 388 is "questionable" indeed. :confused:

~Daniel

A lot of head cleaning solutions from back in the day were...

Trichloro-Triflouro-ethane, another high-test solvent.
Get a good buzz on that stuff! :eek: :confused: ;)

... I mean, use in a well ventilated area!!! ;)

CTFE.... Cal it Freon. I used to use it exclusively as a head cleaner when I was maintaining 2" Videotape machines. Good stuff, and zero residue.

$500 for a less than pristine 388 is wayyyy to much. The cost to repair and align a marginal unit can make a "fox" a "dog". You will hate yourself in the morning.
A partially functional unit, in my book, should only be purchased (and priced!) as a "parts" machine....at least if you cant fix it, you have a shot at getting part of your investment back by parting it out.

Back