good 80's/90's analog consoles/mixers.

A +1 from me to DDA and Midas, both lovely sounding (though except for the Venice which I don't recommend, you might have trouble finding one small/light enough). The reason for my caution on the Venice is that mixing on 75mm faders can be a pain when you're used to 100mm.

Two other mixers from that era to watch for would be Soundcraft (probably the 200 series) and maybe Calrec. Both were excellent devices.

Ummm, whichever one was out in 1987. If I remember correctly, The sound library just grew as time went on. The old sounds were on the newer ones, at least from the mid 90's, since that is the last time I had my hands on one....

You could always just sample the beginning of Edge of a Broken Heart, it's nothing but kick iirc.

I see, i wonder if someone has made a vst out of those drum sounds.

Also ratt's detonator album's drum sound would be interesting and i heard that they used drum machines on that one too.

Edit: Mike Shipley mixed both of detonator and rev it up records. And you mentioned the edge of a broken heart, isn't it on the different album than the rev it up?

The sound I was referring to was the one on broken heart. I'm not sure I was aware of a second album.

There was a lot of drum machine usage in the 80s. Linn drum was another popular choice.

Check out Soundtracs consoles. They were very spendy when they were released, but now a 24 channel version of PC Midi or others can be had for a couple thousand. And you are talking about a really good British board, with robust headroom, excellent mic preamps, musical EQ, and not huge in size. I have a 24 channel Midi PC, it was over 20K US dollars when new, I see them frequently for less than 2k. And there is a dedicated service and sales outfit just across the North Sea from you, in Merry Olde England that is keeping the consoles alive and well. Compared to a Mackie, Tascam, Soundcraft, well actually there is no real comparison, different class of circuits, build quality, and design....

I had a Soundtracs MX. I really liked how it sounded. It does have higher headroom than a lot of consoles from the same era in that class with +/-17V audio power rails. The EQ was nice to use and overall it had a rich bottom-end.

Back