General Electric reel-to-reel playback has extreme distort

steamedhams

I have an old 67 GE Solid State Capstan drive, model m-8080a (can't post link to specifics because I'm new here) that plays anything recorded on it with a kind of warbly distortion. It's in pristine condition and the belt is fine so I'm not sure what the issue is. Any ideas?

I have an old 67 GE Solid State Capstan drive, model m-8080a (can't post link to specifics because I'm new here) that plays anything recorded on it with a kind of warbly distortion. It's in pristine condition and the belt is fine so I'm not sure what the issue is. Any ideas?

Not seen one of those before! Doubt they ever came to UK. "Warbling" is "Wow&Flutter" (Goog it) and has any number of causes.

1) Crud, on the capstan shaft, the pinch roller and in the tape path generally. Clean with ISOPROP alcohol except the pinch roller, use cloth moistened with de-ionized water (or spit!)

2)Belts. You say they are "ok" but might be stretched, uneven in tension or greasy. Clean/replace.

3)Feed reel tension. Probably a clutch or brake system. If it is too tight or uneven can cause W&F.

To sort the machine out (why?) yourself you will need to find a Workshop Manual, not just the user book. Even if you take it to a technician he will need one and it will add tremendously to the bill if HE has to source it!

Dave.

Back