Fostex tt-15 for alignment?

hammerofhathor

I'm starting to investigate the purchasing of things I'll need to do basic setup on my Ampex AG440B.

I know alot of people use computers for test tones these days, but my computer is not to be trusted. Plus I keep computers and anything like it very far away from my music!

So besides an old school oscillator, and expensive hand held units like the Minirator, I've found locally a Fostex TT-15 tone generator.

It has several tones but I haven't seen what the outputs on the back are...I need this to interface with my Ampex machine.....will this work?

And yes, I've got the MRL tape too!

mark

I use one here - it is a neat, simple unit.

It just has a single RCA socket. You'll need to make up an adapter from RCA to XLR.

Output levels are selectable 0/-10/-30. 0 is actually -2dBm on mine, but I just allow for that.

Get it, you won't be disappointed.

Regards

David

rca-XLR?

I'm not so good with some of these things....but isn't going from RCA to XLR into the Ampex going to create an issue balanced/unbalanced connections? I guess that was my immediate worry with this unit....its not an issue using it with my Tascam or Teac decks, they RCA inputs BUT with the Ampex....thats XLR.....

mark

When you make the adapter, take the shield to pin 3 and the signal to pin 2. Don't connect anything to pin 1 (ground).

That's assuming that your machine has the input transformers.

Regards

David

thanks, another question!

David, thanks for this info.

I dug around my studio and found an old (probably Hosa) XLR to RCA cable.

It looks like this one is wired so the shield goes to PIN 1 and the signal to PIN 2, and then there's a little wire connected from PIN 1 to PIN 3.

Would this cable work, or, is it important to only have the cable wired to 2 and 3 only?

Also, do you run a 440 deck? How do you like it? I'm gonna pick mine up in about a week.....can't wait!!

mark

Try it as it is, it may work fine.

If you don't get a signal through to the machine then rewire it as described above. It actually doesn't matter in this instance whether the hot goes to pin 2 or pin 3, and ground vice versa, as long as pin 1 is left unconnected.

Yes, I have an AG-440C. I like it. Dead easy to maintain.

Regards

David

Oh, one more thing!

So, here's a question about the input on the line amp: you mention making sure I have the transformer there, but today I looked over the Ampex instructions in the manual and every time they mention the inputs in the Maintenance chapter for calibration they mention making sure the dummy plug, not the transformer is in place.

Does this matter? Do you need to do anything different to use the transformer, because I'm not gonna have the dummy plugs, just the transformers.

thanks!

mark

I dunno why the manual calls for dummy plugs. The transformer is unity-gain, so level is not the reason.

Do you have your machine yet? Have you tried to put a tone into it?

Back