fostex model 80 through a mixer

Henryy

hi! I posted this in another section to no avail, any chance of a few words from one of you analog(ue) heads? any of you using a model 80, how is your experience with it?

I recently acquired a Fostex model 80 reel to reel and a boss 8 track mixer. I've just started to play with them, recording guitars, vocals etc. The mixer has 8 inputs but only L and R stereo outputs, which I can connect with the 'high definition recording snake' to the back of the fostex. I was hoping for some advice on how best to deal with this - say I have 2 inputs into the mixer, is there a way I can send them to individual tracks on the 8-track? will panning work? what is the best way to deal with having more inputs, e.g. 4, and sending them to the tape? should I send them to two tracks, or is there something else I can do? I'd appreciate any tips greatly.

also, it seems that when I record through the mixer e.g. to track 3, when I try to listen to just that one back (through the mixer) I can hear the other 2 tracks along with track 3. am I doing something stupid?

thank you very much and have a nice day!
Henry

Last edited:
If you check out the thread on the R-8 in this forum, you'll get some feedback on how the Fostex 1/4", 8 track decks fair, sound-wise.

As for your mixer which is an 8 x 2, if you could get your hands on a patchbay, you might make life slightly easier for yourself by assigning tracks of the deck to the two outs of the mixer.

In reality, a better mixer actually designed for multitrack recording would be the superior choice as recording mixers have recording busses, dedicated to setting up separate paths to feed the recorder what it needs and separate cue mixes that you need as the musician to balance the sound correctly while overdubbing.

If you do pan your sources hard left and right, you can record up to two separate tracks at a time but, two at a time will be the maximum with that board.

As for the bleed-through, it could be user error on how you performed the original recordings or it might be the recorders fault too, if the levels were too hot going in and resulted in audible ghosting of the adjacent tracks.

Cheers! :)

Back