Fostex Model 80 - noise when tracking

I was recording to my Model 80 these last couple days when suddenly it started making a terrible noise whenever I hit record. It will play fine but as soon as I punch in or hit record it starts making this noise. The noise is coming from all the other previously recorded tracks and is so loud it almost drowns them out during overdubs. It shows up in the level meters but doesn't print to tape. It seems as if it started getting worse the longer I had my machine on. It's crackly and static, and horrendous to hear while trying to overdub.

Anyone have any idea what would be causing this? I bought this machine last July and it was sitting unused for a number of years. My first guess is bad caps, but I have no experience in changing those. Any help is appreciated.

I don't know much about it but it seems pretty specific.

Normal playback is fine, and the recording itself is fine, but the playback of previously recorded tracks has this odd noise when you punch in to record a new one...
That suggests there's a mixer or amp dedicated to your monitor mix when you're recording?

How is that handled? Can you disable or adjust the level or previously recorded tracks while you're recording to a new one?
If so, does that have an effect on the noise?

+1 to an example clip. :)

I will put an example up tomorrow.

Best way I can describe it is that it makes really harsh and loud crackling sounds that swell up and then drop out as the tracks increase and decrease in volume. It definitely coincides with level of the tracks, so when the song gets louder the noise is more active. Only while recording though. I disable any tracks I don't need, but during overdubbing you obviously need to hear certain tracks. It happens every single time I hit record.

As it's not getting printed to tape, I try to deal with it in the interest of finishing the song but I won't be able to use it afterwards if I can't figure it out.

I used this again today and it didn't make that noise at all. I degaussed the heads last night and had it running for two noise free hours. Weird. Let's hope it still does that tomorrow (today)

Back