Fostex Model 80 1/4" 8-track

vernbass

Hi Folks,
I'm new to this forum. I have an old Model 80 Fostex. I switched to digital recording several years ago but have many old tapes I made on the Fostex that I want to transfer into ProTools. Problem is as I progress into the reel, the machine starts to gradually slow down. Further I get into the reel, slower the machine gets. I was told it might need a new set of belts. Does anyone know where I might find belts for Model 80?
Thanks,
vernbass

Are you sure your tape hasn't gone sticky on you? How old and what kind of tape is it?

Sticky shed syndrome will cause those same symptoms.

Have a look at the head and guides. If you run that tape through the machine, they'll get gunked up real fast.

This is the same thing I would suggest. Clean the path- all of it and try some new tape on it that is not one of the big offenders like 456 and see if it continues. After that get the service manual and check for the belts but to be honest belts don't just slow down with use it is more likely bearing lubrication.

Not only that, but if your original tapes are sticky, you should look up a procedure on how to bake them so they can be transferred safely.

thanks

thanks for your replies. sorry for my late response but was having difficulty logging in to this forum. I will try your suggestions. My tape is probably over 20 years old and most of it is Ampex 457 or Maxell XL-I.

The Maxell stuff should be good because AFAIK it never suffered from the sticky shed syndrome. The Ampex tape will cause problems unless it's made after 1994.

Like Hammerstone said, there are ways you can recover the sticky tapes, but it's probably a good idea to make sure the machine is up to scratch first. It's also a good idea to try and source a suitable capstan belt anyway if the machine's been idle for many years. There have been people selling compatible belts on ebay so it might be worth looking there.

thanks

Thanks all for your help. Much appreciated.

The Maxell stuff should be good because AFAIK it never suffered from the sticky shed syndrome. The Ampex tape will cause problems unless it's made after 1994.

Like Hammerstone said, there are ways you can recover the sticky tapes, but it's probably a good idea to make sure the machine is up to scratch first. It's also a good idea to try and source a suitable capstan belt anyway if the machine's been idle for many years. There have been people selling compatible belts on ebay so it might be worth looking there.

Back