Fostex Model 20 problems

Thrust

I havent used my Model 20 half track in about 5 years and now its having a problem completely erasing previously recorded material. I can still hear previous tracks in the backround after I record fresh tracks. Also the rewind and fast forward are really slow, about as slow as play speed actually. I mean really slooooooow. Are these just issues from lack of use or something more sinister?

rigghht again

Once again I think you were righht ghost. I bought 2 reels of new Lpr35 and all seems to be back to normal. Thanks a heap Ghost. You da man, You da man.

It was a reel of ampex 457 but it was probably ten to fifteen years old. I didnt dectect anything sticky or gooey on the transport it just slowed to a crawl and the tape spooled very uneven and had a squeaky sound as it ran. FF and RW were as slow as the play speed. And to top it all off after recording I could still hear the previously recorded spoken word track faintly underneath. A fresh reel of lpr35 seems to be what my machine was hungry for. I guess there is a lot to be said for fresh tape. Thanks again.

Is it just my imagination or does lpr35 sound more clinical and less tape sounding than quantegy? Does anyone else notice a difference?

Back