Fostex B-16D 16 track 1/2"

Thunder33

There has been one for sale around here for a while for $400. I have always dealt with Adat or DAW. Is this a good deal and if so, what is the learning curve.

Any good/bad reviews. Is tape easy to find for this? I googled it but didn't get much. I think the model number may be wrong. I found a D16 and and E16. Any help would be cool.

Thanks!

The B-16 was the first 16-track on 1/2" that Fostex made (or anyone made I believe). That's a good deal if it works. At this point tape is readily available again -- all but falling from the sky. It uses Quantegy 456 tape on 10-1/2" reels.

I wouldn’t worry about a learning curve anymore than any other recording method.

The D suffix I’m not sure about. It’s a revision from the original, but I don’t remember what it means. Someone here knows, I’m sure.

The B-16 first debuted in 1981 and was made as late as 1985/86 when it was superseded by the E-16.

Thank you. I did find some tape for a pretty good price. Now I gotta remember where I left that extra $400 lying around. :)

And we got pics... here is one from my overloaded hard drive. It's even a 16D... how 'bout that. :)

Attachments

• FostexB16D1.jpg
    FostexB16D1.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 208
You are awesome! I am really wanting to get this. It has been for sale for a few months and I have been wanting to jump on it. I gotta sell something now! Thank again!

Thunder33 said:
It has been for sale for a few months and I have been wanting to jump on it.

If that's the case, you've got upper hand here .. and you should take advantage of it. Offer the seller half of his asking price "cash in hand" but only when you see him face to face. Do check it out thoroughly first.

cjacek said:
If that's the case, you've got upper hand here .. and you should take advantage of it. Offer the seller half of his asking price "cash in hand" but only when you see him face to face. Do check it out thoroughly first.

I may do something of that sort. Thanks!

It's 15 ips w/Dolby C as far as I know, unless someone modified it.

Here is a site with on-line calibration sections of the manual I almost forgot about.

http://synthetizer-sche.chez-alice.fr/listtape.html

But I have seen others mention 30 ips, yet have seen the D listed for sale with a 15 ips spec.

30 ips could be kinda cool for tracking though... about 16 minutes per tape.

Anyone know for sure?

Last edited:
From what I can tell it looks like 30 ips was a factory option, so it could be 15 or 30. It involved a fairly simple board mod at the factory, but also a complete recalibration. Thus it can't be switched from one to the other by the end user. :)

PLEASSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEE make SURE it's 15 ips. Unless you like dishing out double the cash for tape.

I had one just like that, and it was 30 ips. I couldn't modify it down to 15 without doing some serious board work. It's not as easy as pulling a card or removing a jumper.

the 30 ips to 15 ips modification requires a new whatever-the-crap changes the speed card, new track cards, and a new counter card. Not very reasonable. Watch out.

-callie-

Ah, the good old B16, I keep one in the corner of the trackingroom, a great sounding machine but beware. Parts are expensive and hard to get, so make sure the head is in a good condition, for a new head is very expensive, if not impossible to get.

Besides that, the Fostex is mechanically inferior to the Tascam MSR series, which is rocksolid, built like a tank and the head last twice as long as a Fostex.
But the Fostex sounds a tad better, the G series are elecronically superior to the Tascam. the 1" 24 track G24S sounds even better than some 2" machines.

I've bought a brand new Tascam MSR24S back in 1992, recorded some 600 CD's and demo's before it needed a new head ($3000) in 1997. Soon after the head got replaced for a new one I bought a 2" Otari in 1998 and since then the MSR only got used as a (fast) meter bridge, because the led meters are much faster than the VU meters on the board.

This week a guy from EMI came to my place with some 25 I inch Agfa PER 555 tapes from the sixties with no documenting, tracksheets or whatever.

The assignment is to find out what's on these tapes, so I put them on the good old MSR, switched of the NR and these tapes run like new, the MSR runs like in 1992 after not being used for recording for seven years.

It turnes out the tapes are 4 track recordings with some classic recordings, quite interesting.

Anyway, the Fostex B16 still rests in the corner, but the Tascam really is an amazingly reliable machine, it has never let me down for a split second.

Back