Finally got my RC-408, but...

EDAN

Ok, paid too much for it (don't ask), but guess what? it doesn't seem to work! Signal is getting to the remote as the record light comes on when I power up my TSR-8, then the record light goes off a few seconds later and that's that! can't get any functions to work. There is no way to "Set up" the TSR-8 for remote mode is there?

Well, the "dealer" I bought it from will give me a refund, however I just wanted to check with you guys first to make sure it's simply plug and play.

Thanks,
EDAN

There is no setup or switch for it… you just plug it in. When you turn on the TSR-8 the Record LED on the remote flashes for a few seconds just as you describe.

You will be able to arm the tracks with no tape loaded. Of course you have to load a tape or lift and hold the right tension arm for the other functions to work.

Other than the remote being defective you should carefully check and clean the 8 pins on the plug. They could be oxidized and making poor contact. Check the jack on the TSR as well. Ideally the pins should be shiny. Green or black is bad.

Also make sure you push the plug in all the way. There is a little resistance there that may make you believe it’s seated, but it may go further. Connect and disconnect a few times to scrape off light oxidation.

-Tim

Last edited:
Thanks Tim

The pins looked good, but I took your suggestion and cleaned them up the best I could. Still not working. You would think that since the remote record light comes on the remote should work, or no? The RC-408 is a factory reconditioned one that has never been used before and has been sitting in it's original box for ten years. The dealer I bought it from said he didn't have a TSR-8 around recently to hook it up to and check it out. I wonder if it could be the TSR-8 jack?

EDAN

The fact that the RC-408 is a refurb raises a red flag. It’s a tough item to test beyond opening it up to see if there is a loose wire or something else out of place.

The only way to be sure it’s not the wire, plug or jack is to take the back panel off the TSR and do a continuity test with a multi-meter, between where the pins connect inside the TSR and where the wire connects inside the RC-408. This is rather tedious, but if you want to be sure before sending it back it’s about all you can do… unless you have access to another TSR-8 for testing.

Back