Ebay feedback question

famous beagle

I was curious how y'all handle this.

Any time I sell something on eBay and the buyer pays instantly (or very quickly), I always leave positive feedback right away (before I even ship the item). I think it helps set a positive tone to the transaction and think it would encourage them to contact me for help in resolving something in the case of some issue arising. I know that there's always the chance that you could run across some asshole who decides to be a real dick and then leaves negative feedback once you don't give in to their scam or otherwise ridiculous demands, but so far this approach has served me well, and I have 100% positive feedback with a score of 397.

My question is this: What do y'all do when you buy something, the seller has not given you feedback yet and then doesn't treat you well?

Short story: I bought an Alesis RA 100 power amp (for my new Yorkville monitors), and all the description said was "excellent condition." There were two pictures showing the amp and manual from front and back. The seller had 104 with 100% positive feedback, and the price ($40 + $42 shipping) was right, so I pulled the trigger.

Shipping was timely, I opened the box, pulled the unit out, and one of the knobs had fallen off. I looked closer, and the shaft was broken. It had obviously been repaired at one point because there was dried glue in there. The shaft was shattered in several pieces, so it was beyond repair. I searched on line and couldn't find any replacement knobs for the amp. Also the power cord was missing. That's not a huge deal, because I have those, but he didn't mention anything about that in the auction. He didn't say "what you see is what you get" either, so I don't know what the ruling on that would be. Ebay describes a "used item" as one that's fully functional, and it can't function without the power cord, so I think he should have mentioned that.

Then I noticed that there was a decently sized (about 1 " equilateral) triangular chunk missing from the plastic face plate. This plate was black, as is the metal chassis, so it was easy to miss. I checked the picture in the auction, and when I looked for it, I could see it, but it certainly wasn't obvious at all. You certainly wouldn't notice it unless looking for it --- and you wouldn't really look for it if the seller described it as "excellent condition." (Or at least that's the way it was for me.)

Anyway, so I contacted him and asked if he wouldn't mind refunding me $10 for the cost of a new knob set, which actually won't probably cover it (since they aren't available anymore), and I mentioned to him the other things (chunk missing and power cord missing). He wrote back and said "Sorry you don't like the item. If you ship it back we can split the shipping and I'll refund your money." I wrote him back and said that I'd still like to keep the item and it would be cheaper for him to simply refund me $10 than to split shipping charges for me to send it back. He wrote back and said, "You want $10 for a knob, are you serious? That's 25% of the cost of the amp." "Well yeah ... the cost of the 24-year-old used amp," I said. I said that I'd even be happy if he offered $5.

The short of it is that he said if I wanted a new knob, I'd have to file a damage claim with the post office. I don't understand his logic at all. He'd rather pay $21 (half the shipping) to get the amp back and refund all my money ($40) than simply refund me $5 and be done with it. But whatever. I told him thanks anyway. I'm not going to piss away $21 to ship it back to him.

So here we are with neither one having left feedback. I don't want to give him positive feedback, because I don't really think he deserves it. To be honest, I'd give him neutral feedback because he could have been a lot worse. But what do y'all do when there's a feedback standoff like this? Do you just not leave feedback at all? Do you do what's right regardless? I don't want to tarnish my perfect record over this, so I probably just won't leave feedback at all (unless he leaves me negative or something).

What do y'all do?

Dont bother with the feedback. Go to your closed auctions and click "return item". Seller pays return shipping. Done, then look for a more suitable unit.

Looking for larger knobs with the right type of shaft (it has the type that looks like a circle after you sliced through it slightly farther than half way) hasn't been fruitful so far, so I'm using some left over knobs from an amp I built in the meantime. It's kind of growing on me, so maybe I'll just keep them. :)

Attachments

• RA front.jpg
    RA front.jpg
    904.8 KB · Views: 79
  • RA knob close.jpg
    RA knob close.jpg
    523.2 KB · Views: 85
Dont bother with the feedback. Go to your closed auctions and click "return item". Seller pays return shipping. Done, then look for a more suitable unit.

Oh, hmm. I didn't realize that the seller pays the return shipping. I'm so used to seeing "buyer pays return shipping" specified in the return policy of most auctions, but this one didn't offer returns. Ebay's policy says, "If you're returning an item because it isn't as described in the listing, the seller is responsible for return shipping charges, regardless of the seller's return policy."

That's a little bit of a gray area in this auction. Like I said, the chunk missing from the face plate is visible in the pictures, but it's not easy to spot, and, like I said, the "excellent condition" in the description led me to believe that I didn't need to look closely for things like that. And the knob was obviously a repair job that may have broken during shipping because it couldn't withstand a nudge here and there.

I don't know. Given my description of the events, would you say that the item was "not as described as in the listing?"

Used: An item that has been used previously. The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended. This item may be a floor model or store return that has been used. See the seller’s listing for full details and description of any
That's his out right there from a quasi legal standpoint.

The chip in the faceplate is visible if you magnify the picture about 300%

The broken knob may have happened during shipping but even if it didn't and was previously broken and re-glued, that still comes under the cosmetic damage disclaimer quoted abve from the ad.

Alesis RA 100 | eBay

It is a bit sleazy on the seller's part but he did cover his ass, barely, in my opinion.

Caveat emptore and all that crap, I guess.

Sorry. :(

Cheers! :)

Oh, hmm. I didn't realize that the seller pays the return shipping.

There is no rule that says seller pays.
Some will state that they do...others simply state they don't....etc.

I would return the item through the eBay return process and ask the seller to refund all costs including your return shipping, otherwise you will be forced to open an eBay claim.

I just went through this with a seller who sold me "new" and it was used and broken. Got all my money back including the return shipping even though the listing said no returns/refunds would be accepted.
When you turn it into a claim....they always change their tune...it just takes a lot longer to conclude, since both eBay and PayPal want to give the sellers like 10-14 days to respond.
AFA the feedback...the seller in my recent transaction left me feedback as soon as I paid. Great. Had he returned/refunded promptly I would have given him a positive feedback anyway (I've done that in the past)...but when I had to email him 5 times to get a reply and threaten to open an eBay claim...he got NO feedback.
It would have been unfair to give him negative feedback since I got my full refund...but I saw no point in giving him any feedback at all because he tried to avoid the return/refund.

I've never lost any money on eBay...I always got my refunds on returned items...and even with the few times I've had to argue with people over their transaction screw-ups, I've never gotten any negative feedback.
You just have to approach the communication exchange the right way...and don't give in. :)

Ok, thanks for the input y'all. I think I'm just going to keep it. The price was good enough, it works fine, and I don't want to go through the hassle of opening a claim, having to ship it back, and then having to buy another. I'll just abstain from any feedback in this case because, as Ghost said, he technically had his ass covered I suppose.

This was a bad deal. The seller is not cooperating reasonably at all. You're being too nice. I would file an "Item not as described" return. The seller of an item that is not as described, including the omission of information concerning obvious damage is 100% responsible. Your complaint should also include a poor packing job. Unfortunately there are unscrupulous sellers that pack a known damaged item inadequately so they can blame the damage on the shipping service. eBay has evolved over the years to side with the buyer and be more buyer friendly in general. For example, sellers used to be able to leave buyers negative feedback. That is no longer the case. They can either leave positive or no feedback. I know it's a pain but if I were you I would start the process. You tried to reason with the seller. That conversation is over. Now it's time to talk to eBay. The RA-100 is not rare. You deserve one in great condition. I bought my RA-100 used on eBay a few years ago and it looks like new.

I don't agree he had his ass covered. It takes a lot for me to leave negative feedback. I may have only twice in hundreds of transactions. If things aren't great but I was able to resolve it I may leave no feedback at all. In your case I would be inclined to leave negative for this seller. We do this for future buyers... to give them information they need when considering whether they want to take a chance with a buyer or not.

i agree with Beck

You mentioned that the knob shaft was glued.
It sounds an awful lot like the seller was less than honest in the description.
I'd at least give him neg feedback. There is not a damn thing he can do to retaliate.

To do nothing and let it slide just enables them to contine to not give full disclosure of items they are selling..
Give em a ding.

That's what I do ^^^...what Beck and RFR said.

Be civil, but don't give in if you know you are in the right when it has to do with money and goods.

As a buyer, I look at it this way....the minute I do the "Pay Now"...I have completed my end of the transaction as expected, and I always pay within minutes of buying something, unless it's an overnight closing of a listing, and then I pay first thing in the morning....so the seller has NOTHING to complain about once they get your money.

The more sellers get away with selling crap and not describing things accurately...buyers need to not let them get away with stuff. I know sometimes it's not worth the aggravation for $10 or so....but I personally hate sellers who try to screw buyers over, even for $10...so I don't let them off the hook.

Every complaint I've had to do (not many in the last 15 years, but a good handful)...PayPal and eBay always sided with me because I was in the right.

Hey Roman...where you been?
How the recording coming along?
Have you found some 1/2" tape that you were looking for?

I didn't realize that sellers can't leave buyers negative feedback anymore. When did that start?

I wasn't aware of that either. But if its true then perhaps Beck's approach may be a wise one. But ultimately its up to you to decide how much hassle you want to go through to send it back and then look for another one which will likely cost you more then what you got that one for. Plus, the knobs you put on it look pretty cool, at least to me.

Your choice.

Cheers! :)

Ages ago, but you can respond to negative feedback that has been posted. Well in Oz you can, different countries have slightly different setups. For example there is no Reserve price in Oz ebay.

Alan.

I didn't realize that sellers can't leave buyers negative feedback anymore. When did that start?

Yeah, it's been a long time in the states. I had mixed feelings about it because I've had buyers try to rip me off too. I've sold quite a bit on eBay as well as purchased. I once had someone buy an item from me that was in perfect working condition. He tried to take the electronics out of the one I sent him and swap them with a broken one he already had. I had a hunch that's what was going on right away, so I called his bluff. It's been some years ago, but I replied something like, "ok, go ahead and send it back, and once I have it examined for tampering and everything looks kosher I'll refund your money." He immediately freaked and gave some story that he did have another one and he had them open at the same time, and there was a chance he may have accidentally switched around some ICs. Mmm hmm right. So that was the end of that. He kept the item I sold him and left me good feedback. Totally busted and he knew it! :D

But now things are clearly in favor of the buyer whether he is right or wrong. When it comes to an impasse eBay will side with the buyer the vast majority of the time.

You have a clear case. He says "Excellent" in the description. A plastic chunk broken off the face and a shattered knob is by no means excellent. The one-word description was misleading, but what he left out speaks as well. According to eBay if something is wrong with an item the seller should disclose that. Your seller has left himself no standing. And when a seller says he excepts no returns you're still protected buy eBay's buyer protection program. If he doesn't cooperate with eBay his account will be closed.

I'd send it back as Beck says.

Ebay has upped their service so the seller is liable for providing correct info. As the ad said 'excellent condition', this is a lie. You will not only get your money back, but you will also get the original P&P costs back too. Just make sue you send it back using a 'signed for' service. I wouldn't insure it, but I would pack it well enough to survive a nuclear blast.

Al

yep send it back, I had a problem with a power amp and the seller was insisting it was my fault and it was 'damaged in the post' but he clearly knew about it and thought I wouldn't notice, he ended up having to pay postage and was also quite abusive basically not accepting that it was his responsibility right until the end, luckily it's been my only bad experience on ebay.

Back