done with computers

tryptophan

hey.................

i'm completely sick of the problems with computer recording and i want to go all analog........ i want to spend maybe $1000 after i sell my computer and everything else. i have pretty good microphones, so can you please recomend how i break into a decent analog situation? suppose you're telling somebody how to get started before computer recording became an option..... ???? thanks

Check out ebay.
I'd buy one of the 8-track Otari tape machines that have open auctions.
Awesome machine.
You'll need a preamp,so your mic signal gets properly boosted.

For a gee note you should be able to score a nice 8 track, half inch open reel like a TASCAM 38, a decent mixer like a TASCAM 312B, an RNC compressor and a Midi-verb and the basics of a good analog tracking set up.

Check out ebay for the items...I think you could get all that and still have some change left over for some tape.

You might still make use of your computer to at least mix down to for stereo masters unless you want to get a stand alone CD recorder deck or a decent open reel 2 track recorder but that will blow your budget slightly over to get all of that in one shot.

What sort of music do you record?

Cheers! :)

holy shit, really?..... then this is looking better than i thought. so you guys are both saying 8 track which sounds fine to me because i almost had enough space with my 4-track. i have wasted so much time. i guess you have to use computers for a couple years before you get how crappy they are for making music. convenient obstacles.

Many computer based recording systems fail because there is too much other stuff going on in the background, software and hardware wise.

Most people who report success with PC based set-ups have nothing running on the puter but the OS, the hardware drivers and a decent recording software program. This means no anti virus, no games and no Internet. Just a good sound-card and the software to make it run.

Even still, many feel less then enthralled with mixing with a mouse and wading through menus to get anything done so with analog, you have a tactile, physical system to work with that doesn't crash or lose your tracks due to a power outage.

What analog wont give you is instant rewind and the ability to cut and paste parts together as easily as many digital systems so, if you need to do a lot of editing to get your parts down or like the ability of rearranging songs after they have been tracked, you might want to consider a digital Portastudio which is a bit more reliable then a PC but is still susceptible to crashes and power failure disasters.

I use analog because of two main reasons.

The sound quality is incredible with the right usage of the equipment.

And the main reason is the tactile feel of seeing all of your controls and being able to access any or all of them without wading through menus to do something.

There's something magical and inspiring about working on a big mixer, seeing all the routing in a physical sense of paths and knowing that most of the best music in the world was recorded on similar equipment.

The main thing to recording though is to have good material and good musicianship. Once you have those under your belt, you can get great results from even semi-pro gear.

Cheers! :)

many great artists have been ruined by the convenience of pro tools.

dont forget the cost of tape and cables. and a mixer. and a lot of ebay sellers are shady. I bought a busted reel, and even paid with paypal. that was about 2 months ago and the thing is still in my garage pending inquiry. "in working condition". but some people get lucky with machines that are "untested" which I personally wouldn't touch. dont buy tape that isn't new. you might want a test tape, which is another $90. you will also want to do a search and learn how to clean it.

i decided the same thing myself about 6 months ago, only i decided to keep my pc setup as well. i have a thread in the mp3 mixing clinic where i posted 4 songs, the first three tracked with a fostex E-16 1/2" tape reel by myself, the last one digital, tracked live. this was the most recent digital session and my first analog session, so they should be pretty comparable. I think both have their pros and cons.

good luck

I go hybrid. Not really analog, but not on (an obvious) computer. Although it is a computer inside, it's tuned up, optimized for recording and has physical faders, etc. Some menus, yes, but for the effects and other internals, plenty of buttons. and for $1050 it's the Korg d1600mkii. Has cdrw for backups and audio cds. also has usb to xfer to pc for more flexible backup.

I also hate working on computer systems for music. I have protools free on a nice beefy pc and that's enough for me to know I don't like it. I just take the extra time to simplify my kik playing so I can use it instead of having a more complex part that i have to edit. I practice it and improve technique, that's more satisfying to me than spending the same amount of time editing it. good luck.

I'd like to echo GHOST OF FM here and also add that the digital ease of "cut and paste parts together" philosophy has RUINED music as we speak. There's no more life but a sterile recording. I don't care, and neither should a musician, that you can't do crazy editing on Analog. An occassional cut or paste here and there, like in the old days, and even punching in is fine I think but it really doesn't detract from the musicality ....

~Daniel

Last edited:
So, if you've got mics and such, looks like you need

1. An 8 track recorder (Go for an Otari MX-5050 1/2" 8 track. THEY'RE ROCK SOLID, AND YOU GET A LOT MORE, FOR A LITTLE MORE CASH)

2. An 8-12 track mixer. The M-312b or M-312 is VERY nice. The M-308 or M-308b's are 8 trackers (duh.) The b series have phantom power on the mic pres.

3. A patch bay (or two) (optional) (Unless you've got one already ??)

4. A couple dozen patch cables

5. A master recorder (unless you wanna run into your computer for the masters)

6. An outboard reverb/effects unit

7. An outboard compressor/limiter/gate (if you want)

8. A veritable plethora of cables to link it all together.

If you wanna involve the patch bay, it will be MUCH EASIER to work with your system, but it'll cost a few hundred more with all the extra cables needed, patch bays, and whatnot. I just can't imagine having to keep track of 8 pre-tape and post-tape cable connections without a patch bay right there to help me. :eek:

Have fun!!

-callie-

well, maybe a 2-track. i asked about them before and found some really cheap ones that look good. i'm not opposed to mixing to cassette. i'm really just making music for myself

tryptophan said:
well, maybe a 2-track. i asked about them before and found some really cheap ones that look good. i'm not opposed to mixing to cassette. i'm really just making music for myself

In that case you might find the TASCAM (cassette) decks to be quite good. If you wanna mix to open reel tape then a TASCAM 22-2 would be the best bang for the buck.

~Daniel

Back