Does Otari BQ play half-track stereo as well as 4-track quad?

L-Dawg

I'm looking for a decent machine to dub to computer many reels of my father's concert recordings from the '50s and '60s. They're 1/4-inch, stereo quarter track and half-track. (Original machines were a mixture of Ampex AG-600, Crown SS8800, and Tandberg 6, and I was often the engineer!) I am leaning toward an Otari MX-5050BII; a -2 or -4 would do the trick since I'm primarily interested in playback only. But I also have a few reels of my own "quadraphonic" recordings I made in the '70s (on a Teac 2340 4-track) that I'd like to transfer sooner or later.
My question: does the MX5050BQ (4-track quad) have a second set of heads for half-track stereo playback, like the MX5050BII series? If so, should I try to kill three birds with one stone and hold out for a BQ (and it seems there are BQ-2 and BQ-III models out there) or buy separate machines? Cost is certainly a consideration and I'm not looking to do a lot of recording on these machines (unless the old bug starts nibbling again).
Thanks fo any tips!

L-Dawg said:
I'm looking for a decent machine to dub to computer many reels of my father's concert recordings from the '50s and '60s. They're 1/4-inch, stereo quarter track and half-track. (Original machines were a mixture of Ampex AG-600, Crown SS8800, and Tandberg 6, and I was often the engineer!) I am leaning toward an Otari MX-5050BII; a -2 or -4 would do the trick since I'm primarily interested in playback only. But I also have a few reels of my own "quadraphonic" recordings I made in the '70s (on a Teac 2340 4-track) that I'd like to transfer sooner or later.
My question: does the MX5050BQ (4-track quad) have a second set of heads for half-track stereo playback, like the MX5050BII series? If so, should I try to kill three birds with one stone and hold out for a BQ (and it seems there are BQ-2 and BQ-III models out there) or buy separate machines? Cost is certainly a consideration and I'm not looking to do a lot of recording on these machines (unless the old bug starts nibbling again).
Thanks fo any tips!
well, the situation is that you can hold out until your 50's and 60's are no longer playable ...(if they still are playable as we speak ;) )... or until you yourself are no longer walkable .... ;) The situation is: You are NOT holding in your hand a shiny new catalog of new r-t-r machines... while time is running out and every second counts :p , You are shopping in the field of death and smoking debris - leftover of the wiped out city.
So? I'd say if the task you are describing is what you are after - then just get working condition any machine(s) which can play your tapes.... play/record your tapes to what ever (computer/CDs), then sell the machine(s). I see people do this all the time.

also, since you were doing all/some of the recordings in the past - you must of know well what machine(s) can play your tapes - shop e-bay, there are bunch to "choose" from over there every day. also if there's a second head-set - you will not miss it - you see it, which is a rare find (chances are slim to non). If you don't see it - there's no second head-set, which is very common. :D

/respects

Back