does this idea suck?

antispatula

r2r.jpg

So first of all, I thought I might as well show you guys the extreme funkyness of this old unit.

Anyways, this thing is a tube, mono recorder. So there's only one channel. It sounds SO sweet when I talk into it, since it's getting a whole 1/4" of tape to record it on. I tried using one mic to play guitar and sing, and as far as I can tell, it doesn't work that well......Anyways, would combining two signals into one, using a y adapter, create a bad-sounding recording? What do you think? Is there any way to play piano or guitar while singing into a mono recorder? Thanks!

antispatula said:
What do you think? Is there any way to play piano or guitar while singing into a mono recorder? Thanks!
I'll only tell you if you send me you're MX 50/50 remote cable. :D :D :D

I don't know how your idea would sound, but I can say that thing would look cool in my dungeon filled with toys! :D

antispatula said:
r2r.jpg

So first of all, I thought I might as well show you guys the extreme funkyness of this old unit.

Anyways, this thing is a tube, mono recorder. So there's only one channel. It sounds SO sweet when I talk into it, since it's getting a whole 1/4" of tape to record it on. I tried using one mic to play guitar and sing, and as far as I can tell, it doesn't work that well......Anyways, would combining two signals into one, using a y adapter, create a bad-sounding recording? What do you think? Is there any way to play piano or guitar while singing into a mono recorder? Thanks!

To your question about the Y adapter. Yeah, I don't think it would sound too great. What kind of inputs does the recorder have? If you have a mixer you can send two mic channels to one line out. Or as many mics as you need to one line out. Just curious too to what kind of outputs it has.

Well, hell, that's how it was done for the first 20 years or so that magnetic tape was around. Mono tape decks were used as mixdown reels, b/c the end result would be on a mono record, so there.

It's definately possible. Dunno how funky that thing is, but if it passes a clean signal into that one mono track, you could make a sweet mono mix of stuff, given that a proper mixer and whatnot precedes everything.

-callie-

antispatula said:
r2r.jpg

Depends what type of inputs it has but if you could mod it so that it would accept even RCA's, if it doesn't already, then all you need is a basic, inexpensive mixer, like one of the TEAC or TASCAM mixers we discuss here often and you can input as many mic/line signals while mixing to whole track mono. You could mic the piano/guitar carefully with 1 or 2 mics and have one for vocals while playing live or have friends join in with additional mics. This type of "live" recording was done all the time in the 50's and earlier and having an all tube FULL track to record your sounds on would sound SWEET indeed. There's nothing wrong with this setup and your plan is certainly better than doable. Hell, if you've got another deck like this, you could even overdub. :)

Keep us updated,

Daniel

hey guys, thanks for the help. As for my mx 5050 remote, it is MINE! :D

And yeah, it's ins and outs are rca's. And yeah, I've got a 16 channel mixer, so I was thinking of just finding a y adapter like this:

1/4" + 1/4">>>>>>>rca

If that makes sense.....

And put the mics in channels 1 and 2, premix everything before traking, then use the adapter on the 2 channels out's into the rca input of the reel to reel.

And I'm not sure if people think I'm trying to record into it, not mixdown to it, but perhaps that's a better idea? Perhaps I should record into a 2 track, then mix it down to the mono recorder, and use a y adapter with the main out's on the mixer......I don't know!

Man, that is one cool looking machine. You may have to record "live" to it, but how cool would it be to set up a quartet of piano, guitar, vocals and maybe a stringed orchestral instrument, say a cello, send the mics out through the board into the input of the recorder for some sweet recording.
However you decide to use it, nice machine man. :) :) :)

hey thanks! I wish I knew what year it dates back too.....Anyways, should I use a y adapter on the main stereo outs, or perhaps just the monitor outs?

What if you were to record the guitar track first in your other machine then press play to use the guitar track as a monitor/cue and record the vocal track into your mono unit. You should end up with a strong, sweet vocal track with enough guitar bleed to go back and retrack guitar, piano, kazoo, whatever.

If you use this idea and it works then please feel free to send me either your 50-50 remote or the mono unit as a service fee. :D :D :D Dave

hehe, well, if it turns out good, and I get a million dollars off it, I'll hire an electrical engineer to personally build you a remote :D

wait, I think I just had the greatest idea!

So record the guitar on the mono, then take off that tape, then record vocals on the mono, on ANOTHER tape, then put those two tapes on two different machines, then mix them into the mono recoder......woah, I wonder if that would work......

antispatula said:
So record the guitar on the mono, then take off that tape, then record vocals on the mono, on ANOTHER tape, then put those two tapes on two different machines, then mix them into the mono recoder......woah, I wonder if that would work......

Sadly, both tracks would be out of sync, even if you line it up well initially. :(

antispatula said:
hehe, well, if it turns out good, and I get a million dollars off it, I'll hire an electrical engineer to personally build you a remote :D

wait, I think I just had the greatest idea!

I don't understand why you can't just mike your vocals and mike your guitar and send one line out of the mixer to your recorder? :confused:

Back