Does analog move more air. . . ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The molecules are vibrating back and forth, but it is a very small amount.

Actually we can calculate this:

Particle displacement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But we don't need to because you already proved to yourself that air must move based on your candle experiment. What you are experiencing is air movement combined with some cognitive dissonance.

We know that air must move when a drum is struck; the deflection of the top head is a few mm; the bottom head must therefore move somewhat less (due to the small port on the side of the drum, and also the acoustic impedance of the air inside the drum). When the bottom head moves, we know all of those molecules that were resting near the reso head have to get the F out da way because the head now occupies the space where they were living. And once they start moving they ain't gonna stop right away due to inertia, until surrounding air molecules absorb their energy. As the wave spreads the number of affected air molecules will increase, this is accounted for in the formula that tells us that sound pressure in free air will drop with the square of distance.

This is why if you put your head next to the reso head your eardrum will burst, but if you are a few feet away the air motion (and therefore sound pressure) is low enough for your ear to survive.

Note how in the formula for particle displacement that it increases with decreasing frequency (the 1/w term) and increases with increasing sound pressure (Pa), exactly what we would expect from our experience.

You are so arrogantly wrong about my understanding of physics and other topics. You are belligerent, that is why you are constantly arguing. Muttley never "Embarrassed" my on anything, where is your "Master" now? You know nothing about my studio, its acoustics, construction, ergonomoics or otherwise. Your "Reprimanding" posts are just "Riddled"(not in a funny way) with pretentiousness and pompousness that I think many Newbies will see right through your facade of fallacy.

Please reread the above
Sure I do:

OK, 30dB of TL is *terrible*, so I suspect you have measured that incorrectly. That's a stock interior uninsulated 4" stud wall TL.

See the table here under "partition type", with 14" decoupled walls you have >60dB *if* you built it correctly:

Sound transmission class - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Next, throwing extra panes at a problem is usually the wrong solution; two thick panes can be better than four thinner panes, but it also depends on the spacing of the panes. You would be better with two pairs of tightly spaced panes with a wider cavity between. If you have roughly equal spaced multiple panes, that's where you can create a resonant structure that makes TL worse at some frequency. From your photos they look equally spaced; that is suboptimal.

Carpet samples are not good for room treatment because they do not have a wide absorption bandwidth. You get a room that is dead at HF but still with significant peaks and nulls in the LF response. Also, it appears from the pictures you have oriented your mix position across the short rather than long axis of the room, which reduces the delay time of the reflection off the back wall to your mix position. That is suboptimal unless said wall has excellent absorption and diffusion characteristics . . which carpet doesn't. You control room looks very small; you'll need serious broadband absorption for a reasonable room response. I would recommend 4" thick rigid fiberglass panels across all corners, ceiling to floor and also ceiling to wall, with added panels spaced 4" off the wall to the left and right of your mix position and also on the back wall. If you find you need to brighten that a bit, you can use facing on some of the panels so you still get the LF absorption.

Insulation is a weak material for improving TL; you need to rely on a proper decoupling structure with *mass*, and lots of it, hanging on those studs to absorb the energy being transmitted by all of that moving air!

But of course you believe the air isn't moving, so you probably won't listen to any of this advice . . .

My measurement was made with my sound pressure meter set to A weighting. The microphone was aimed at the door. The door is 5" thick and filled with fiberglass insulation. The windows have worked perfectly just the way they are for almost 20 years. 30 db is exceptional, practical, soundproofing. A loud band playing at 100 db will allow myself to have a quiet conversation on the telephone in the control room. I built this studio when I was in my twenties, not bad converting an old cow barn into a money making studio. Your response just shows once again your arrogant, pompous, condascending and know-it-all personality.

VP

You said your wall are 14" thick, so you tell me . . . what's on the other side?

Also you built it 20 years ago? When are you going to finish the walls?

You said your wall are 14" thick, so you tell me . . . what's on the other side?

Also you built it 20 years ago? When are you going to finish the walls?

It is a renovation, Squirrels had moved into the ceiling and walls. For such an expert on my studio you have not been paying attention to details. The control room walls are 14" thick, like your head!!!!!!!!

VP

So those are exterior walls? Yeah, still some work to do then. You really need decoupled walls if you want good TL.

Do something about that carpet though, you'll be happier with fiberglass panels.

I think we agree that all squirrels must die.

So those are exterior walls? Yeah, still some work to do then. You really need decoupled walls if you want good TL.

Do something about that carpet though, you'll be happier with fiberglass panels.

I think we agree that all squirrels must die.

Well there is a stone foundation and earth behind them (with an air space yipee!), I thought you already new that being the expert on my studio. I am already happy with my decision for finish and treatment materials thank you very much!

VP

Dude, every time somebody points out a mistake of yours you try to denigrate them as a self-proclaimed "expert". That is kinda the point, I'm not the expert, but this stuff is *basic*. I mean all of it; digital sampling, fourier analysis, propagation of sound by moving air, studio construction, and on and on and on. If you can learn this stuff from wikipedia it is by definition not expert-level material, it's freshman-level physics of music class. If we had a physicist who taught signal analysis in here . . . well, he'd facepalm and leave quickly.

Maybe something like this:

Signal Analysis

Anyway, the first thing a novice learns about acoustics is don't use eggcrate foam as treatment; the second thing is don't use carpet as treatment. Third thing is don't build resonant structures; it's mass-air-mass, not mass-air-mass-air-mass.

C'mon VP, the Studio Building forum has been talking this up for more than 10 years. Ethan Winer and Rod Gervais have written articles and books on the right way to do things. It's not complicated, and you don't need to be an expert to get it right. You just have to listen and be willing to learn.

Dude, every time somebody points out a mistake of yours you try to denigrate them as a self-proclaimed "expert". That is kinda the point, I'm not the expert, but this stuff is *basic*. I mean all of it; digital sampling, fourier analysis, propagation of sound by moving air, studio construction, and on and on and on. If you can learn this stuff from wikipedia it is by definition not expert-level material, it's freshman-level physics of music class. If we had a physicist who taught signal analysis in here . . . well, he'd facepalm and leave quickly.

Maybe something like this:

Signal Analysis

Anyway, the first thing a novice learns about acoustics is don't use eggcrate foam as treatment; the second thing is don't use carpet as treatment. Third thing is don't build resonant structures; it's mass-air-mass, not mass-air-mass-air-mass.

C'mon VP, the Studio Building forum has been talking this up for more than 10 years. Ethan Winer and Rod Gervais have written articles and books on the right way to do things. It's not complicated, and you don't need to be an expert to get it right. You just have to listen and be willing to learn.

The only mistake I have made is responding to your confrontational posts. Again there are no mistakes in my studio, it has been 2 great decades of music and fun. And it is going to continue despite you desperately trying to "Burst My Bubble". Have a nice night!

VP

Given that many of the threads you post in end up this way . . . I gotta say, if you aren't enjoying this as I am, well . . . hmmmm. No, I guess I don't have anything to say about that, never mind :D

I love threads like this :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back