Difficulty converting cassette to digital with audacity.

That device plus a decent cassette deck plus 99% isopropyl alcohol and swabs plus a demagnetizer plus a certain amount of knowledge would get it done.

This response is for both you and garww. Can I go line in from a decent tape player's 3.5 m headphone jack into the behringer device, then into the pc, and get a clear connection? I used to have a laptop with line in, and I would go from the tape player's headphone jack to the pc and record with audacity. It sounded good. They took the line in off many of today's computer's, and I have this problem.

I use line out of the deck and only use headphone jacks is there is no choice. The headphone jack of the Luxman I'm putting the head wear on, has a bullshit headphone jack. Usually, if there is a computer MIC input, it can take line input. MIC settings often mean there is extra gain. And that can usually be disabled.

No, I don't have any issue going into a computer MIC jack - you don't need Behringer. I have a pocked A/D that I can send any analog output to a digital input, if I want to skip some analog preamps.

Look at your control panel devices for recording. Left click on the open space of the device listing and make sure is is showing all devices. Often, you might see Realtek Mic input along with Realtek line input

I use line out of the deck and only use headphone jacks is there is no choice. The headphone jack of the Luxman I'm putting the head wear on, has a bullshit headphone jack. Usually, if there is a computer MIC input, it can take line input. MIC settings often mean there is extra gain. And that can usually be disabled.

No, I don't have any issue going into a computer MIC jack - you don't need Behringer. I have a pocked A/D that I can send any analog output to a digital input, if I want to skip some analog preamps.

Look at your control panel devices for recording. Left click on the open space of the device listing and make sure is is showing all devices. Often, you might see Realtek Mic input along with Realtek line input

I tried going in from line in of a tape player to the pc mic, and had the worst under water sounding recording imaginable. Is my pc mic not configured right for this kind of recording?

Also, let me know if I need a certain cable. I also checked, and it is showing my usb tape player.

I tried going in from line in of a tape player to the pc mic, and had the worst under water sounding recording imaginable. Is my pc mic not configured right for this kind of recording?

Tried going IN from LINE IN???

Should be line OUT to line IN.

Out from deck to IN of the computer

Most of my cables are male 3.5mm stereo to male left and right RCA. My sound blaster 16 came with those cables and I'm still using them. Right where I sit right now, is my big stereo and three computers. The "tape two" loop has those 3.5 to rca cables. I can play and record to any computer I plug the 3.5mm plugs into. The computers being just another tape deck.

I can tell you my laptop came with devices that were not shown in control panel, until I left clicked and checked the show all checkbox. And, you do have to investigate all the dialogs for play and record devices to be sure there is no interference from artificial intelligence(microsoft).

Well if usb, why mess with audio jacks to begin with?

I say throw that shit away. Get a 'real' tape deck, get the behringer interface and transfer away.

Well, I could record cassettes in my car in the late '60s and play wasn't so hot. Compared to that hi-speed 8-track, anyway. My first cassette deck was good to 12, or 12.5 with chrome. We still have no idea if the tapes are worth getting too carried away, or, what types of NR may be needed ? If they are all old oxide normals, he'll probably spend more time cleaning than playing. Not that there is any high freq to be masked by oxide shed ! hahah Maybe some are 3 3/4 from the 2-speed cassette days ? I've still got mine, along with Hi-Com NR

If I can't get the pc mic to work, I may buy behringer. Looking at images the behringer, I don't see line in for a 3.5 jack, and I do not understand the behringer's optical out put. I worry none of my current tape players will be able to be plugged into the behringer.

If I can't get the pc mic to work, I may buy behringer. Looking at images the behringer, I don't see line in for a 3.5 jack, and I do not understand the behringer's optical out put. I worry none of my current tape players will be able to be plugged into the behringer.

The optical output is irrelevant. Behringer makes a similar device with out the optical connection that would work just as well. Connecting a tape deck to the Behringer interface is a simple matter of using a pair of RCA cables from the outputs of the deck to the inputs of the Behringer. If your decks don't have RCA outputs then they're unlikely to be good choices for digitizing your tapes. The key to all this is knowledge, and I am not convinced that we can close that gap for you.

Any decent deck will have rca outs, nowadays they can be gotten for cheap.
If you have a lot of cassettes you want to digitize, it's worth getting the right decent gear. Could probably for a 100 bucks get the right stuff.
The other output is spdf. It is one jack that isn't feeding audio signal, but the straight digital information.
It may be of no use to you. For some gear it's handy to have.
For example, I still have a couple of DAT recorders. I use the spdf to get the digital info into my computer. It bypasses the conversion process of digital to analog and back to digital.

No, normal audio interfaces don't have 3.5. This DSD player I'm listening to right now has USB, optical and co-ax digital in, and 3.5 stereo for fones on front and line out on the rear. On the Tascam sitting next to it, it's co-ax digital in/out, RCA line out, and input is 1/4-inch.

While I have 3.5 stereo to 1/4" Y cords, I'm often using 3.5 stereo to Y RCA with 1/4" adapter plugs. One can never have enough adapters : )

I see, now, that my Technics 2-well DBX rs-t55r was $9.99 on eBait. Playback is very good

Now the freq response on the cheap Luxman is better - 19k vs 17k, what the difference is in real world is the wow & flutter spec. t55r is .08 & K-106 is .05. If you can get below that .05, it's pretty good.

Thank you all so much. I have learned much from this thread, and I am going to probably try the behringer interface, and quality cassette deck combination.

Keep in mind the Behringer is USB1 16/44 and 16/48, and, I have better signal to noise on several tape deck, including 2 cassettes. Many a crappy old sound blaster has better S/N

Keep in mind the Behringer is USB1 16/44 and 16/48, and, I have better signal to noise on several tape deck, including 2 cassettes. Many a crappy old sound blaster has better S/N

Geeeezus, the poster finally came to a viable workable solution. And you gotta try to throw a monkey wrench into the works?

And signal to noise??? Phooey! It's a freaking cassette for crissakes.
The Behringer will do just fine for the transfer.

I sure as hell wouldn't use it, but odds are good it's better that the USB cassette. Hmm.. So happens I got a Behringer converter(16/48) a couple months ago on the last mixer but I wasn't planning on using it for anything - 82 S/N on the analog main. No, my cassettes were around 87 in the late '70s with mid-priced consumer gear - and we moved over 90 after that. It would probably be plenty good retail tapes and most of the stuff I made for the car. Granted tape S/N is its own animal

My dubbing is 16/44, most often, but I save the original waves for mastering that party tape. Ya, I do mp3 from 22k waves, but it depends on what one needs. I also want 16/44 to hold up going to 11.2 MHz sample rates when possible.

We don't know if the tapes are solo piano with nice ribbon MICs a Revox cassette with Pro NR or what. I don't want to assume they are crap

I'm not buying 87dB s/n on cassette. Without NR on a decent tape it's about 60dB. With Dolby C, HX pro and proper level setting I'd say it maxes out in the mid 70s. Maybe with Dolby S you could break 80dB, barely.

Back