Deerhoof

peopleperson

I'm so sorry.
Okay seriously, has anyone heard this band? There are a few things about the actual music that I'm not a huge fan of, but I can't get over the sounds. It's seriously the biggest, fattest, analog sounding recordings I've heard in ages. I thought some of you fellow analog geeks would appreciate it. The stuff seriously sounds like Frank Zappa himself engineered it in 1971.

Last edited:
ha, yeah they're cool. they just played here but I missed it. I'd be interested to know myself....

I love deerhoof! agreed, they get some amazing sounds. My friend got to see them live in Lawrence, Kansas, awhile back and all the drummer had was a bass drum, a snare, and a broken hi hat he found in the garbage in the back before the show. hardcore.

If you have the chance to see them live, then by all means go.
I liked them pretty much after hearing their later records a couple of time,
but seeing them live was very different. Nothing short of amazing. Satomi (the singer) has an unbelievable stage appearence. The drummer too, playing barefeet with a midget size three piece kit. Also the guitarists doing their entwined spastic lines. And the core of the music is all love in a sense what Beatles tried to convey. They just radiate on stage. The experience was best summed up by a girl next to me smiling from ear to ear while teary-eyed.
And the lyrics are often very clever and surprising in contrast to the innocent surface of the vocals, kind of like playing with your little niese ending up in a straight jacket while she goes la-la-la. Example of some striking lyrics from "rrrrrright" on their latest record: "eclectic melodies popping out of hairy lips .. ompah! ompah! ". The song itself has some immensly catchy noisy guitar work. It kills. You can get the files from their site to make your own remix of the song. They are consistently putting out great records still improving, unpretentious, have a noble intention with their work.

If someone should be broke when they play in your town, sell your mothers or send me a pm.

Back