dbx 228............service manual?

jjones1700

Learning, always learning
I figured this was as good of a place as any to pose the question. Does anyone know where I can get a service manual for a dbx 228 expander? I've got one that I bought used a while back, but didn't try out until recently. Stupid me. I tried it out and nothing seems to work. I took the lid off and :eek::mad::eek::mad:...........holy crap!! I've never seen electronic components blown apart like this! So............if I can get a hold of a service manual, this might be a good little "project".:rolleyes:

Excellent! Thanks a bunch. I originally searched through stereomanuals.com, but there wasn't a listing for the 228. I just got to thinking about this, I haven't even pulled the board itself out yet. I'll have to do that first to see if the traces on the board are blown out before I decide to get a service manual. I guess worse case scenario, I sell it for scrap metal.:confused:

I don't imagine the circuitry is all that complicated. If you are going to look at traces then grab a pencil and paper. You may be able to reverse-engineer it yourself without too much hassle.

Yeah, I figured as much. Like I said, I've never seen stuff blown apart like that.

Believe it or not I actually have seen worse. If you have digital cable then you are familiar with the Motorola DCT-2000 set-top cable box. I used to work for a subcontractor that repaired those for Motorola. We would get boxes that were in house fires, ones with severe lightning damage, ones completely filled to the top with cockroach corpses. But by far the worst were the ones pissed on by a cat. Cat piss is like nitric acid, it will eat through circuit board traces as efficiently as the etching solution used to make the board. Then as traces break components start frying. It's a real nasty business - stinky too! :eek:

Back