Damaged Fostex 80 - expert opinions please!

Hey Beagle,

Was the first one that you returned the same model?
What about seeing if you can buy that one back cheap as a parts machine.

Im sure after it being returned to him, that's given him a reality check. Returned items are harder to sell. If you buy it for the right price as a parts machine, at least he knows it wont come back to him.

Maybe make nice with him? Lots of usefull parts, and you could always have the heads relapped as replacements for your current machine when needed.

Just an idea.
:-)

I thought of that as well. :)

However, I have a line on one already that will be perfect if it works out. I think it's going to.

Not trying to pimp it just because I'm thinking of selling it....but yeah, the Fostex G16 was a cut above the small format field when it came out.
The comparable TASCAM models were equally good sonically, but the computerized transport control and synchronization option of the G16 made it unique. It's remote/locator has more refined functions than my MX-80 and some other high-end pro decks.
If the digital audio boom had not kicked for another 10-15 years, Fostex would have sold millions, and I'm sure there would have been some ass-kicking follow up to the G16....maybe even a large format offering.

That said...I'm now 100% in the 2" format...and I've developed a fondness for my MX-80 equal to what I had for the G16.
I mean...the sonics are superior, and they always will be with a pro 2" deck compared to the small-format prosumer stuff.
So...the G16 needs to find a new home. I don't see much point in holding on to it any longer.
I am also let go a huge stock of NOS 1/2" tape when the time comes, as I see no point in keeping that either once the G16 goes....though I did have some fantasy about one day owning a 1/2" 2-track deck...but I think I'm good to go with my Otari 1/4" 2-track. It's the last model Otari made, and it's minty new.

When the time comes...I'll mention it again here...as I would be happy seeing it all go to an HR member.

Sorry for the thread hijack beagle...you know how that goes sometimes. :)

Ain't no thang. Sounds like an awesome machine.

the take up and feed reel shafts are part of the motor assembly if the shaft is bent the whole motor has to be replaced and the outboard braking assembly re attached to the replacement motor unless you get a used assembly somewhere.
this is not a pretty job.... a machine shop could also straighten the motor shaft but that is mega $$$$$
good luck
dnw

the take up and feed reel shafts are part of the motor assembly if the shaft is bent the whole motor has to be replaced and the outboard braking assembly re attached to the replacement motor unless you get a used assembly somewhere.
this is not a pretty job.... a machine shop could also straighten the motor shaft but that is mega $$$$$
good luck
dnw

Thanks very much for the tips. Do you have experience with this particular model? I only ask because, looking at the service manual anyway, it doesn't look as though the motor and reel assembly are one piece. I'll be able to confirm this in a day or so when I'm able to dig deeper into the machine, but from the manual, it looks as though the reel assembly can be replaced independently of the motor. See attached page from the service manual.

Or am I reading this wrong?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Fostex Model 80 Service Manual 24.pdf
    25.4 KB · Views: 6
Update: Good news

So, USPS paid the damage claim, which is awesome. I found a parts machine for cheap and will be picking that up this weekend.

A few nights ago, I managed to get the reel assembly/spindle removed and could confirm that the problem seems completely isolated to that bent spindle. It actually wasn't difficult to get to at all. The Fostex 80 is refreshingly pretty easy to work on so far.

As long as the metal frame is not bent at all (it looks fine to me, but I'm not a precision instrument), I think I should be in business. And I'll come out a bit ahead in the end too. :) Keeping my fingers crossed that I don't find any other signs of damage.

Back