Damaged Fostex 80 - expert opinions please!

famous beagle

Ok, so this is the super-clean Fostex 80 I recently bought that was damaged during shipping. Aside from some slight cosmetic damage to the front right bottom corner, the machine seems to have survived pretty well considering. The biggest issue is the transport. There are two main concerns. I'm hoping the ATR experts can help me with these.

After testing it, I learned that all the inputs and outputs work fine, they all pass signal well, and all the LEDs in the meter display still work (which was a pleasant surprise).

The take-up reel shaft was so bent that I couldn't even get the reel all the way on. See pictures of this in post #174--titled "New entry into the hall of shame"-- of this thread:
https://homerecording.com/bbs/gener...ur-recorder-mixer-arrive-one-piece-229729/18/

After testing what I could of the transport controls, I learned two things:

1) The supply reel seems to spin fine, but it does the same thing whether I push play or RW: it spins clockwise quickly. I suppose it spins a little faster during RW, but it still seems pretty quick when I push play. I don't know if this is normal or not. When I push play, I would expect it to rotate counter-clockwise at a slower speed (the "play" speed) so that it's feeding tape to the supply reel. Maybe this is not the case if the take-up reel is not allowed to freely spin? Can someone confirm what's supposed to happen to the supply reel when you push play without any tape loaded (but the tape guides are lifted)? See video entitled "Fostex 80 supply reel issue"

2) When I push FF, all I get is a noise, since the take-up reel is not able to spin. So I'm trying to find out exactly which part I need. From the service manual (see attached pages), it looks as though I may just need the part identified as #50, "reel, sub-assy." I haven't seen the back of this part yet, but it looks as though it's secured to the frame --- labeled as number 87 in the diagram but not identified in the parts list --- via three screws. Assuming that frame part is not bent, I don't know what else could be. It's really looking as though the metal shaft part (the part to which the reel clamp attaches) was bent during a fall and that's causing the plastic casing of part #50 to rub against the frame (which I can see), preventing it from spinning freely. See video entitled "Fostex reel assembly issue."

So, my two questions are:

1) Do I possibly have an electrical problem with regards to the supply reel spinning clockwise when I hit play?

2) Can anyone think of/see any other reason for the take-up reel not spinning, or does it seem plausible that if I replace that "reel sub-assy" part, I should be good to go?

Here's the link to the videos:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6nw0fky3q8pbf5h/AACILmoFqvUxC2xeSsoaBn1Ma?dl=0

I really appreciate anyone who can shed some light on this. Thanks for reading!

Attachments

• Fostex 80 part.pdf
    114.5 KB · Views: 10
Was looking through the manual- did you do the brake adjustment procedure fig 6-9? Maybe the brake spring / tension needs adjusted. Just guessing.

http://thesnowfields.com/manuals/Fostex_M80_sm.pdf

Thanks for the response! No I haven't tried that yet, but it would be moot at this point. I don't know if you happened to watch the video yet, but the take up reel shaft is very bent, and that's causing it to physically rub while it's trying to turn. This is definitely not a brake adjustment issue at this point.

It very well could need that --- I don't know --- but doing that now would be like trying to adjust the alignment of a car with a tire that has a split tread or something.

1.) I think with one side damaged, and no tape spooled up...you won't a get a true picture of how the reels spin in FW/RW/Play.

2.) Hard to say if a new reel sub-assembly will solve all the problems...?

3.) I thought you were sending this back and getting a refund? Do you really want to take a chance on a damaged deck?
IOW...you first have to repair the damage to the reel assembly...BEFORE you can see if the rest of the deck is working properly. It may have had some issues before the damage....or maybe not...I'm just saying that I would gladly return that for a refund and look for something else.

1.) I think with one side damaged, and no tape spooled up...you won't a get a true picture of how the reels spin in FW/RW/Play.

2.) Hard to say if a new reel sub-assembly will solve all the problems...?

3.) I thought you were sending this back and getting a refund? Do you really want to take a chance on a damaged deck?
IOW...you first have to repair the damage to the reel assembly...BEFORE you can see if the rest of the deck is working properly. It may have had some issues before the damage....or maybe not...I'm just saying that I would gladly return that for a refund and look for something else.

Regarding #1, that's what I was hoping, but I wasn't sure. :)

I already sent one 80 back for a refund and got that refund. With that, I bought this second Fostex 80, which was incredibly clean and babied and fully functional (he provided me with video of this before I bought it). Unfortunately, he didn't pack it well.

So I'm filing a claim with USPS for the full amount of the unit since parts are no longer available. I really want to keep this deck and get it up to speed because it's clearly been well-maintained throughout its life. In my experience, USPS is very good with damage claims, but if for some reason they won't pay the claim, I will return the machine for a full refund.

a very minor comment considering the huge issues that deck has now but I think (emphasis on think! ) that the supply reel runs clock wise even when in play mode because it's putting a back tension on the tape. It's not much but if there's no tape being pulled from it .... then it would spin clockwise because it IS slightly pulling in that direction during playback.

a very minor comment considering the huge issues that deck has now but I think (emphasis on think! ) that the supply reel runs clock wise even when in play mode because it's putting a back tension on the tape. It's not much but if there's no tape being pulled from it .... then it would spin clockwise because it IS slightly pulling in that direction during playback.

Oh ok ...I didn't realize that. That's good news then. It seemed very unlikely to me that all the electronics would work except that, for some reason, the play button would be acting as RW now. So I figured it must be my ignorance. Thanks!

I really want to keep this deck and get it up to speed because it's clearly been well-maintained throughout its life.

I guess I was wondering how easy will it be for you to source the needed parts to repair everything...?

Did you talk to Fostex...do they still have parts for these?

Not sure if you mentioned it...but what did this thing cost you (not counting shipping)?
I guess if you are not into it too deep, and UPS pays the claim, it might not be a loss, financially...but again, do you think you can source the parts for it?

Oh...yeah, USPS.
I would never ship something that large/heavy via USPS.
If it don't fit in their flat rate boxes, it's like a big PITA to them having to deal with large/heavy items.

I prefer to use FedEx Express (not FedEx Ground) when I ship.

I guess I was wondering how easy will it be for you to source the needed parts to repair everything...?

Did you talk to Fostex...do they still have parts for these?

Not sure if you mentioned it...but what did this thing cost you (not counting shipping)?
I guess if you are not into it too deep, and UPS pays the claim, it might not be a loss, financially...but again, do you think you can source the parts for it?

I have found one person on line who said he has that part (reel sub assembly), but he wants $75 for it. It makes more sense to buy a whole machine for parts/repair that has the part I need (and will possibly have other parts I may need in the future if this one has issues).

I paid $581 for the auction, but that included a bunch of extras: a 4050 auto-locator remote (with the cable), two 8-channel snakes, the original Fostex metal take-up reel, a brand new reel of Ampex 457, and the MRL calibration tape.

I'm asking for $400 for the Fostex 80 based on its condition and the recent sold listing prices, which I provided to USPS for the claim.

Assuming all goes well with the claim, I should actually come out ahead in the end, as I don't expect to pay more than $200 for a parts deck.

Last edited:
Update

It occurred to me that, since there was a point in the rotation of the take-up reel where it felt loose and was not rubbing against anything, I should test the FF function while it was sitting at that point. I just did that, and, as I expected, the take-up reel did start to move and quickly stopped as soon as it started rubbing again.

This tells me that the motor is still functioning and is (most likely) not damaged.

Everything so far seems to be pointing to the bent shaft as being the only part that needs to be replaced.

If it doesn't go well for you...keep an eye out (assuming it would even interest you)...as I'm probably going to list my Fostex G16C w/sync card, and lots of spare parts, calibration tapes, etc... this fall. I also have a second G16 that I got as a parts deck. It runs OK, but has more wear than mine. Mine is mint and 100% operational.

I love the G16, it's a serious deck with great built in synchronization/auto-locate options, and this being the Dolby C, it doesn't suffer from the dying Dolby S cards that the later models have.
That said...ever since I got the Otari MX-80...the G16 hasn't seen 1 minute of use. I decided to hold on to it for awhile, until I was settled in with the MX-80. I figured just in case the MX-80 had issues, I could still use the G16...but honestly, if the MX-80 had issues, I would fix them and/or get another one. I have tons of parts for the MX-80, spare motors, remote, cards, meters...and a guy who worked for Otari and can repair anything I need.
So...I don't see the G16 making a comeback in my studio...and it really is a great deck that I don't want to just cling to for another 20 years and never use it.

If it doesn't go well for you...keep an eye out (assuming it would even interest you)...as I'm probably going to list my Fostex G16C w/sync card, and lots of spare parts, calibration tapes, etc... this fall. I also have a second G16 that I got as a parts deck. It runs OK, but has more wear than mine. Mine is mint and 100% operational.

I love the G16, it's a serious deck with great built in synchronization/auto-locate options, and this being the Dolby C, it doesn't suffer from the dying Dolby S cards that the later models have.
That said...ever since I got the Otari MX-80...the G16 hasn't seen 1 minute of use. I decided to hold on to it for awhile, until I was settled in with the MX-80. I figured just in case the MX-80 had issues, I could still use the G16...but honestly, if the MX-80 had issues, I would fix them and/or get another one. I have tons of parts for the MX-80, spare motors, remote, cards, meters...and a guy who worked for Otari and can repair anything I need.
So...I don't see the G16 making a comeback in my studio...and it really is a great deck that I don't want to just cling to for another 20 years and never use it.

Thanks for the tip!

Hey Beagle,

Was the first one that you returned the same model?
What about seeing if you can buy that one back cheap as a parts machine.

Im sure after it being returned to him, that's given him a reality check. Returned items are harder to sell. If you buy it for the right price as a parts machine, at least he knows it wont come back to him.

Maybe make nice with him? Lots of usefull parts, and you could always have the heads relapped as replacements for your current machine when needed.

Just an idea.
:-)

Not trying to pimp it just because I'm thinking of selling it....but yeah, the Fostex G16 was a cut above the small format field when it came out.
The comparable TASCAM models were equally good sonically, but the computerized transport control and synchronization option of the G16 made it unique. It's remote/locator has more refined functions than my MX-80 and some other high-end pro decks.
If the digital audio boom had not kicked for another 10-15 years, Fostex would have sold millions, and I'm sure there would have been some ass-kicking follow up to the G16....maybe even a large format offering.

That said...I'm now 100% in the 2" format...and I've developed a fondness for my MX-80 equal to what I had for the G16.
I mean...the sonics are superior, and they always will be with a pro 2" deck compared to the small-format prosumer stuff.
So...the G16 needs to find a new home. I don't see much point in holding on to it any longer.
I am also let go a huge stock of NOS 1/2" tape when the time comes, as I see no point in keeping that either once the G16 goes....though I did have some fantasy about one day owning a 1/2" 2-track deck...but I think I'm good to go with my Otari 1/4" 2-track. It's the last model Otari made, and it's minty new.

When the time comes...I'll mention it again here...as I would be happy seeing it all go to an HR member.

Sorry for the thread hijack beagle...you know how that goes sometimes. :)

I have a half inch machine... you can guess what that might mean with your situation coming up. :-)

I sense future wheeling and dealing.

Back